Thursday 24 April 2008

Alternative Cough Remedies

Geee, I didn't know simple post like yesterday generated so many comments. Since cough was one of the subject matters, I'll try to compile my alternative ways to cure coughs here. As there are a few types of coughs, I'll try to note down which remedies are for which type of coughs BUT since I'm not an expert, all I could do is just based on what I learnt from other sources especially by word of mouth. Those that I didn't mention shows that I've no idea if it's for dry or wet/cold coughs. Most times I'll just try whatever that come my way as there is no definitive remedy to cure a cough since it varies from one person to another.

There are two ways to use Buddha's fruit (loh horn guo in Cantonese, you can find them in Chinese medicine halls). One is just wash and break up one fruit. Place them in a saucepan with 4 bowls of water. Boil in low heat till reduced to 1 bowl of water. Drink once everyday till cure. Alternatively, boil with more water for an hour or so and keep in a flask. Sip the warm drink thru out the day. The next one, is similar but add one piece of lean pork meat, also boil from 4 bowls reduced to 1 bowl.

Double-boiled orange juice

Double-boiled Pear with Chinese Almonds which actually worked for me that time.

Bird's Nest Soup which worked for me a couple of times for dry coughs but please don't choose those whitish coloured ones. Those have been bleached.

PabloPabla of HoChiak! had sent me a tip previously. He had suggested double-boiling fuji apple with rock sugar without any water. Hmm I have some fuji apple at home, maybe should try this tonight haha!

Audrey of Audrey Cooks have a remedy to reduce phelgm and another for itchy cough.

For night coughs, Yozora of Shifting Sand had posted one remedy which you don't even need to ingest to cure!

p.s.: Last night I didn't have to DIY hahaha cos hubby made me another round of the double-boiled orange juice BUT he gave me controlled portion!

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert and these are some of the remedies that I've tried myself and fellow bloggers. Should you try and anything untowards happened to you, please don't blame me LOL...

1 comment:

  1. I remember my nai mah (nanny) used to make double-boiled orange juice for me, and she also made me to eat the orange.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012