Monday 29 August 2005

The Famous Kueh Lapis from Indonesia

Since hubby started to frequent Indonesia in his business trips, I've asked him to get some kueh lapis (layered cake in Bahasa Melayu or Bahasa Indonesia) for me. He checked the airport but it was kinda expensive, so in his subsequent trip, he got his business partner in Jakarta, Indonesia to get him some. The kind partner got him not one but two types of kueh lapis. He got them from Nyonya Guat but he told hubby this is not the famous one. So maybe I'll only get the best one some other time.

Kueh Lapis is a rich cake consisting of thin alternating layers of batter made of butter, flour, eggs and sugar, piled on top of each other. Each layer is laid down and baked separately, making the creation of a kueh lapis an extremely laborious and time-consuming process. They have varieties too but those spiced kueh lapis that I've tried before is really lovely. The aroma is simply Heavenly.

This is the plain kueh lapis, very very rich and buttery in flavour. Pretty oily and moist. A small tiny slice served with a cup of tea would be the best way to savour this rich cake.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This one with the flowery pattern is actually the prune version.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Look... there are even slivers of prunes in between the layers.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This prune version is also very rich and buttery but kinda weird to have prunes since we're so used to the plain version. Next time, I want the spiced one, ok, darling?? Thank you *muaks*

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

7 comments:

  1. i don't really like kueh lapis but they do look pretty and neat! fascinating the different flavours they've got now.

    my sis made orange cake yesterday though, yumm! (kinda, i'm not much of a cake person hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I remember in Indonesia, you'll get kuih lapis everywhere. Even the supermarket ones are nice. Coincidentally I ate some locally made kueh lapis that day which was so expensive (RM200 for a cake!). Luckily I did not pay for it but it was very fresh and not very oily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. q, some are nice some are not...

    boo, those East Malaysia one are very colourful but again some tasted nice, some are not. i heard they can even make the pattern that look like a car when you cut them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love kek lapis very much. i tried one from jkt, 'uncle tom' in Sogo. last time, sunflower(jln Ipoh)made good layer cake but i think they no more in biz... wat a waste.

    By the way, where is nyonya guat in jkt ? maybe i can ask my colleague to buy for me during his trip to jkt.

    Ciao
    JL

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi JL,

    I've no idea where is this nyonya guat since it was my hubby's biz partner who bought him those. there is another one i've tried and the address is there Happy Lapis Legit

    http://babeinthecitykl.blogspot.com/2005/09/lapis-legit-happy.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just bought 5kg, each 1kg in Miri Sarawak supermarket cos each about RM20 very nice fm Indonesia PT Mariza :Morica lengit lapis and blog towwwremkam.blogspot.com to know about this cakes

    zaj said.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi
    I was recommended this cake shop in Jakarta selling Kueh Lapis some 3 years back and never stop buying from this shop hence whenever I went there or my friends came to visit me in Singapore. The name of the shop in Hayam Wuruk.
    The address is DELICIOUS BAKERY & STEAK HOUSE, Jalan Hayam Wuruk, #06-65, Jakarta. The plain kueh lapis is nicer and taste better. The cost is Rp280,000 per piece and had to order a day earlier. Can anyone tasted the cakes from this bakery to comment

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012