Thursday 14 August 2008

Accidental Chicken and Tomato Stew

Sometimes I marvelled at myself for being creative in the kitchen department. I'm not talking about bakings and decoratings, just the basic day-to-day cooking. This dish came about when I have only 3 ingredients left! Yes, three - 2 chicken thighs - chopped into pieces, 2 onions and about 4 large tomatoes.

I was cracking my head what to cook for my boiboi's Sunday lunch as I did not managed to go to the market that day. I could always take him out for a bite but it's so hot outside... too lazy to even walk across the road hahaha sighhh it's actually very convenient for me to eat out as the shops are just a stone throw away!

Anyway, what I did was just brown the chicken pieces in some oil. Remove and set aside. Using the same pot, fry the quartered onions. Best if they're caramelised as it will lend a natural sweetness to this dish. Put the chicken back in there and pour in water to cover the chicken. In fact if you preferred a rather soupy deal, add more water. Add the quartered tomatoes, oyster sauce to taste, and a wee bit of sugar to balance the tartness of the tomatoes. Put on the lid and simmer for about 20 mins before adding some black pepper. I've used more of these than usual which gave this dish a very nice fragrant peppery taste. Stir and serve with rice.

Errmm the soupy part is an accidental thingy hahaha cos I've added a lot more water than required and I didn't wanna continue to simmer as my chicken pieces have already gone very tender. It turns out to be a rather soupy stew and guess what? This dish turned out to be a hit! We lapped up everything, meat, soup and all!!!

Sweetish, tangy and peppery - it's so flavourful. The one depicted is another version that I've made the next round which contained canned buttoned mushrooms. Worked as well.

Accidental Chicken and Tomato Stew


Technorati Tags:

5 comments:

  1. Ahhh, the art of improvising. Nice! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like soup with tomatoes, very appetizing~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg.. more like accidental genius! from someone who cannot cook.. u da bomb! lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh That's quick thinking of you..and who says a mistake is always bad. Without mistakes, we wont know what we can discover-like this stew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. missmall *grinning from ear-2-ear*

    it is indeed mimi, cos i love tomatoes

    :p hahaha cumi&ciki

    ya ya daphne, a lot of inventions were mistakes :D

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012