Sunday 24 December 2006

Not-so-Starry-after-all

DH Star Cookies (with pink sugar) DH Star Cookies (with green sugar) DH Star Cookies (with colourful beads)

Don't these cookies looked festive and nice??? Well, it was supposed to be Donna Hay's Star Cookies recipe that I gotten from the latest edition of Donna Hay Magazine. Somehow, the dough is simply too soft to be rolled out and cut out with cookies cutter. My poor boiboi... I had promised to let him cut the cookies with the star-shaped cookie cutter, anyway he had fun too sprinkling colour sugars and bead on the cookies.

I had added extra flour into the dough mix but yet it turned out sooo soft. I ended up rolling the dough into balls then flatten with the back of a fork. However, the cookies tasted superb... buttery with melt-in-the-mouth texture. I got rounds of compliments from my guinea pigs!

Star Cookies

250g butter
3/4 cup castor sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
2 1/4 cups flour, sifted (I've added another 1/2 cup flour, at least!)
1/2 cup clear sanding sugar for decor

Preheat oven to 180C. Place butter and sugar in electric mixer and beat till pale and creamy. Add vanilla and egg yolk, beat till combined. Add flour and beat till smooth doughs forms. Divide dough into 4 portions and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 15 mins or until dough is firm. (I've left it in there for more than 2 hours which is rather firm but sort of like melted right out of the fridge.)

Roll dough between two sheets of non-stick paper until 3mm thick. Remove paper and cut with star-shaped cookies cutter. Place cookies on tray lined with baking paper. Sprinkle with clear sanding sugar. Bake for 8 minutes or till golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

Ref: Donna Hay Magazine, Issue 30, Page 148

I've coloured my sugar to make them looked more festive... spoon some sugar in a bowl and drop liquid colouring onto sugar. Mix well till colour is blended. Add in more drops till you get the colour you desired. Remember to work with very small amount of colouring. Otherwise the whole batch of sugar will become too dark.

Oh yeah, leave the cookies to cool in the tray for a while before lifting out as they will still be a bit soft.

Technorati Tags: +

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012