Friday 12 January 2007

Carrot Cheesecake

I've gotten hold of Yum Yum Publications' latest Chinese-English bi-lingual cookbook - Yummy Cheesecakes by Kelly Tang. It contains mostly baked cheesecakes recipes. Since I was too lazy to do anything heavy over the holiday period, I picked this Carrot Cheesecake from this cookbook to experiment.

When I was going thru the recipe, it really struck me that the recipe looked more like a butter cake instead of a cheesecake and I didn't bothered to add more cream cheese knowing very well 125g of them is seriously very little to impart much cheese taste. So much so that my hubby proclaimed that I thau kung karm liew (Cantonese for stinge on work and ingredients) after tasting one piece of it!!! Grrr... all right lah actually if you really want more cheese flavour, I suggest you use more cream cheese and a little more carrots if you want extra bites. This cake need to be baked in a water bath, so remember to boil some water before hand.

Check out my cake surface... its very dark cos my oven temperature had gone bonkers and I need to get the technician to come and adjust the oven. Apart from the darkened surface, the centre of the cake is not fully cooked too (I managed to hide that part in the shadow in my pic haha), funny though that the skewer came out clean when I checked for doneness. So this means no baking will be done the next couple of weeks, must get the oven done up before Chinese New Year. I have been dragging my feet since a few months back...

carrot cheesecake02

Carrot Cheesecake

Ingredients A:
125g softened cream cheese
150g softened unsalted butter
230g castor sugar
5 eggs

Ingredients B (sifted together):
230g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder

Ingredients C:
50g grated carrot, squeeze out the juice
1 tsp vanilla essence

Method:

1. Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add in sugar and beat till creamy and pale.

2. Add in eggs one at a time and stir well. Slowly fold in B.

3. Lastly mix in ingredients C. Pour mixture into a lined 8"/20cm round cake pan and place onto a baking tray filled with water and steam bake at 180C for 40-60 minutes or until well cooked. Remove and leave to cool. Serve.

Ref: Yummy Cheesecakes, Kelly Tang, Yum Yum Publications Sdn Bhd first published in Sept 2006

There were some extra batter which was enough for a few cupcakes. They really looked good here.

carrot cheesecake01

Technorati Tags:

3 comments:

  1. This looks really good. :) Hope I can try to bake it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope you'll like it, WhItE_PoPlAr and thanks for dropping by

    jackson, i hope you're feeling better now. did you notice the uneven colour on the cupcakes' surface??? my oven's temperature need to be adjusted badly

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg babe, i want to have some!!! i've been so busy and lazy lately that i seems to have stop baking :(

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012