Friday 5 September 2008

Steamed Egg Custard (Dun Darn)

Yippeeee, I've finally found the perfect recipe for Steamed Egg Custard or in Cantonese known as Dun Darn!!! It's smooth like my boiboi's bottom muahahahaha :p, soft and not overly eggy. This recipe is a must keep!

Steamed Egg Custard

Steamed Egg Custard

(A)
80g rock sugar (I've used the brown kind and 80g is a bit too sweet, have to reduce)
200ml water

250ml fresh milk
4 eggs

1. Bring (A) to boil. Cook until sugar has dissolved. Leave to cool.

2. Beat eggs lightly and mix together with (A) and milk.

3. Sieve into steaming pot (you can use ceramic/porcelain bowls or in my case ramekins due to the size of my steamer). Cover and placed in double boiler. Cook for 30 mins (in my case, I managed to get 6 ramekins out of the mixture and steamed them for 20 mins.)

Ref: The Best of Patsie Chong - Pregnancy & Confinement

Steamed Egg Custard - spooned


If you fancy milk curd (dun nai), try this Fresh Milk Curd With Ginger.


Technorati Tags:

20 comments:

  1. ohhh...my friend and I was talking about this the other day and I'm wondering what's it's call besides custard. Glad to see this post, now I remember what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done. Hard to get a smooth one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. there's something soothingly calming about steamed egg, be it chawan mushi, caramel custard, steamed 3 wong dan, or plain steamed egg with milk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. some chef told me to use same amount of egg and water. looks like u r on a right track . . .but sugar ? errr...

    ReplyDelete
  5. :D KY

    Ms. _____ 2 be !, so you know what it's called now?

    thanks wmw, tell me about it. i've wasted lots of egg before this recipe came about :p

    totally agreed with you J2Kfm!

    mike, that method was to make sui tarn, the savoury version. this one with sugar is dun (double-boiled) darn, a dessert or supposed "yoon" the body.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow nice !!Looks really smooth , haha.. show me ur boiboi's pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did this before~~ quite hard to control the steaming time :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks nice! Will try it out!

    bizkutraya,
    http://www.bizkutraya.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. errmmm let's see one of these days ok jin hooi

    yalor mimi :(

    :D ciki

    thanks bizkutraya

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've tried this recipe, reduced sugar to about 50g. Which is just nice for me and my little one! Very good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Babe! U just reminded me of my childhood favourite. I ask my grandma to cook this regularly!!! And now I have the recipe to try it at home too! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks viv m y for the tip ;-)

    daphne, you lucky you!!! i've tried many times but failed. imagine the amount of eggs and milk gone down the drain :p luckily now we've got one that works!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried this last nite, sad to say the first batch was 'oversteamed', second batch turns out better but before the middle gets cook the side already starting to be 'potholes'. Am I doing something wrong here?

    Taste wise it's good, my son loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. maelyn, i think it's too hot. if you're not sure, use low heat all the way.

    it's not easy to make this perfectly. previously i've thrown away many spoilt tries :p

    you'll need to adjust the timing accordingly to the size of your containers. the heat is also another factor. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you use white sugar instead of rock sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  16. nate n annie, i supposed you could but you might need to adjust the amount accordingly

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi babe_kl, I did another batch this week and it turns out very very smooth. You were right, it was too hot. Thanks for the recipe and advice. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012