Wednesday 17 September 2008

Braised Chicken with Eryngii Mushroom and Carrot

Eryyn what??? It's Eryngii... a kinda mushroom from Chiangmai, Thailand according to the packaging. Eryngii is also known as king trumpet mushroom, french horn mushroom, and king oyster mushroom. I frist saw this packet at the vegetable stall and grabbed a pack without knowing what to do with it. The size of this mushroom is about the length of my (short) palm and the thickest part is slightly larger than the diameter of 50 sen coin.

Eryngii Mushroom (Chiangmai)

Staring at the packet, I guess the best way to cook it would be braising it with chicken and so I set out marinading skinless chicken thigh pieces with white pepper, oyster sauce, a few dashes of fish sauce and some cornstarch. Sliced up the mushroom and carrots for some colour.

In hot oil, brown the chicken pieces. Next, add in 3 cloves of lightly crushed garlic and fry till fragrant. Stir in carrots and mushrooms. Pour in just enough water covering the chicken and add in some oyster sauce for flavouring plus some white pepper and little bit of sugar to taste. Cover with a lid and braise for about 15 - 20 minutes. Dish up and serve with rice.

Braised chicken with Eryngii Mushroom and Carrot

I have to say this eryngii mushroom is still crunchy after braising for so long. My boiboi and I liked them very much. We ladled lots of gravy onto our rice and ate them up in a gusto! This mushroom would be nice for stir frying which I will try next, if I can find them again.


Technorati Tags: +

14 comments:

  1. Isn't this also called "Gai Bei Ku" (drumstick mushroom)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I frist saw this packet at the vegetable stall and grabbed a pack without knowing what to do with it."

    reflex action bcos big and long ah? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Babe, love how you experiment with all these cute mushrooms! Must try also lah.. Haha. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such cute little grubby mushrooms....I am sure they tasted great!!!~
    Oh for the love of mushrooms!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. whoa looks delish. I bet it is!!! the mushroom looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also saw this at supermarket, do they taste juicy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. pea, i'm not sure but there's another type similar looking but at least 4 times the size of these

    lanatir, no wor... the other type longer and thicker but a bit soft to experiment LOL

    superheroes, well we learn from each other's experiments :D

    yes they do christy

    lisa, they do tasted good

    ;-) kong kay

    mimi, they're not juicy but crunchy

    ReplyDelete
  8. so thatsss what its called. i call it big body mushrooms. i slice them and put it in "chung" .. sometimes hotplate it or BBQ

    ReplyDelete
  9. came in here by mistake but am glad i did! wow, my mouth is watering, im nearly drooling. Gosh, what a nice tempting site you have. Im pregnant now and feeling peckish the whole time so its not safe for me to be here. haha.
    Lots of love from London,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dish looks darn good! If I was experimenting with mushrooms, I would normally stir fry it with garlic, butter, a bit of white wine and finely chopped spring onion. I must try it your way next time. I like how the mushrooms have kept their shape, normally they cook down to almost nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. teckiee, i think these are smaller version

    cat, thanks for stumbling here, just dun crave for the food you saw here cos it will be hard to find them in London :P

    lusciuous temptations, perhaps you can cut the mushrooms into larger pieces??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can always find this type of mushroom here in Bangkok, but I have never cooked it this way. I only stir fry it with other types of mushrooms together. I will try your recipe soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You could also lightly salt & pepper and then sprinkle w/ some oil (I usually use grapeseed) and them throw on a hot grill.... absolutely de-li-cious! My Korean neighbors in Va taught us the wonders of this great King oyster mushroom along w/ their fabulous Korean BBQ!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012