Wednesday 21 May 2008

Another Version of Beef Stew

Beef Stew

I've made another round of beef stew but this time it's slightly different. I marinaded the beef with some salt, pepper and a few generous dashes of Woscestershire Sauce. In my pressure cooker, I fried the chopped onions, leeks, garlic cloves and celery in some olive oil. Coat the beef in flour and add them into the cooker. Brown the meat evenly to seal in the flavours.

Chopped leek, onion, celery, garlic Beef cubes marinaded

In some water, I mixed in some Marmite and few dashes Woscestershire Sauce. Pour the mixture into the cooker, ensuring there's enough water to cover the meat. Cover and cook as per instructions, in my case, for about 10 mins, before I turn off the fire. Released the pressure followed by the lid and turn on the fire. Add in the rest of the ingredients. This round I added leeks, celery, carrots, potatoes, button mushrooms, oyster mushrooms and tomatoes. Pour in more water covering half of the vegetables. Let it come to a boil, taste and adjust the seasonings with salt. Put on the lid and cook under pressure for another 5 minutes. Once pressure are released, open the lid. Stir the stew and ensure the vegetables are cooked thru.

Celery, leek, carrot Potato Tomato

Button mushroom Oyster mushroom

Again my boiboi refused to eat when I mentioned I'll be serving this for lunch but when I served it and asked him to try, he was game since I served it with bread. As usual he loves it and so did hubby! I guess this time the method worked better as the meat turned out melt in the mouth, plus I've used Marmite lent a lovely taste to the stew. My big pot of stew got finished up by dinner! A first indeed haha...


Technorati Tags:

15 comments:

  1. I wonder how this taste like with chicken coz I don't take beef. Worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow..it does look like melt in your mouth..so easy and convenient sommore..too bad at home pray kuan yin..so cant eat beef at home..boo hoo..

    ReplyDelete
  3. the beef stew looks delicious... mmm..i am still thinking if it is worth investing in a pressure cooker. saw a few at Parkson's Subang Parade but they were around RM799 (plus and minus)... but they looked much better than the flimsy ones I saw at places like Carrefour

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...love the looks of your stew, babe.. And I love the fact that you used so many ingredients. Must be delicious! Next time I wanna try cooking this too... :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been ages since I last tasted Marmite. Marmite crabs/prawns from restaurants don't count as the taste is weak. Now I'm tempted to get a bottle. Please give more Marmite recipes, k?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm.......i was thinking of doing a similar dish but braise instead of stew and using BOVRIL . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always like to cook some beef dished at home but all my family member don't take beef....

    ReplyDelete
  8. deliciously written..gonna try out the chicken version soon...if time permit's...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. What cut of beef do you use? Clever of you to use the pressure cooker :D

    I am sure it tastes complex as you used many different type of ingredients. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks good...it kinda looked like the japanese style curry. minus the worchestershire of course...can wallop with bowls and bowls of rice! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. lianne, am afraid the chicken version will taste completely different. let me know how it turned out ok.

    joe, yes the meat did have the melt in the mouth texture... yumyum

    yozora, next time we go check out some cheaper ones ok ;-)

    thanks twosuperheroes... awaiting for your report!

    tummythoz, go check my marmite prawns post :p

    mike, nowadays Bovril doesnt taste as good as before after it turned vegetarian :( tasted similar like marmite

    mimi, perhaps cook smaller portion then

    sulynq, pls share your mommy's chicken stew recipe ok when you got it from her!!!

    pablo, i've used chuck part and yes the texture and taste were lovely

    thanks nic ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOoo...from the look, i can tell it was tasty! My friend used to stew her beef with bbq and tomato sauce and it was good too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! Get the chuck meat and chuck them into the pressure cooker. That's nice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy..!! i'm gonna try it.. thanks..!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. game to try pea?

    hehe hey it ryhmes, pablo!!!

    no prob mamabok, this one easy peasy

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012