Wednesday 17 January 2007

Dai Yee Ma Kar Lui using Chayote

I used to eat this dish named Dai Yee Ma Kar Lui (Aunt marrying off the daughter in Cantonese, not sure how to name it in English) at one of my fave mixed rice stall along Jalan Mesui. Frankly speaking, I've absolutely no idea how this dish got this name hahaha... It seems that's how people of the older generation often called this dish including my mother. Anyway, one day the aunty was telling someone that she had used Chayote instead of the normal jit gua (Cantonese for fuzzy melon). Strangely they tasted the same to me but I was intrigued by it since I've never cooked Chayote before.

Chayote can be easily found in the wet market these days so I when I saw them one day, I decided to give it a try.

chayote julienne chayote n carrot

Just slice chayote and carrot (for some colour) into strips. Soak and wash some dried shrimps. Soak some mung bean noodles (fun si in Cantonese).

To cook, heat up some oil in wok. Dump in the dried shrimps and fry till fragrant before adding some chopped garlic. Fry a bit more and place in the chayote and carrot and stir well. Pour in some stock be it chicken or in this case I've used prawn stock, just enough to cover the vegetables. Season with some salt to taste before adding in the soaked mung beans noodles. Cover and simmer till chayote is soften according to the texture that you fancy and the stock have reduced. Dish up and serve.

dai yee ma kar lui01

Technorati Tags: +

6 comments:

  1. I love this dish!Do you know why this dish is call dai yee mah kar lui?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah, I love this dish and just found out what this dish is actually called! Usually home cooked, never ordered this dish while eating out. What a funny name. Thanks for the name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute name. I love this too as my mum often cooks it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ladies, i've no idea how this dish got such a cute name. if only i can read chinese so i can google for it. nevertheless, i kinda like this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey i didnt know this gourd is called chayote! my mum cook chayote quite often, but she does a simple stir fry. just slice (not shred) the chayote (she removes the skin), stir fry with garlic & oyster sauce. add in some stock, simmer till slightly soft. simple but tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks sc for another idea on how to cook this.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012