Friday 6 April 2007

Stir Fried Kailan with Pork and Fried Dace with Salted Black Beans

**Non-Halal Post**

Whoossh... what a mouthful! I mean the title of this dish, must be the champion of all titles I have here in my blog! Anyway, I just finished drooling over Rasa Malaysia's Stir-fried Brussels Sprout with Dried Sole which made me rush over to my blog to compose this particular kailan dish.

I saw how this chef from Hong Kong cooking up this dish in a Taiwanese cooking show in one of the newer Chinese (Mandarin) channels on Astro. Strangely, the host has never tasted canned Fried Dace with Salted Black Beans (maybe canned goods from People's Republic of China were not allowed to be imported into Taiwan???) and she claimed this dish was super delicious and very appetising only IF she can have a bowl of rice there and then haha... Hence, I quickly got hold of a pencil and a shred of paper, and jot down roughly what were the ingredients and methods while they're fresh in my memory. The visuals helped tremendously for a banana like me hahaha... and thank goodness there were very few ingredients only.

stir fry kailan with pork and fried dace with salted black beans

Stir Fried Kailan with Pork and Fried Dace with Salted Black Beans

Ingredients:
Kailan
A can of Fried Dace with Salted Black Beans (portion depends on how much kailan you're using, for me, I managed to cook 3 variations of this recipe from one can)
Sugar
Water
Sliced pork, pre-fried in some oil
Red chilli cut into thin slices (Attention Kelvin!!! There finally your favourite appeared hehe)
Corn starch solution

In a heated wok, pour in the fried dace, oil (up to your own degree of discretion) and beans included. Break up the dace with your spatula (but I find breaking up with my fingers is easier before pouring into the wok). Stir in the chili and add in some water. Put in some sugar (about 1 tbsp if using one can of fried dace as shown on telly). Next add in the pork slices and stir.

Once the liquid is boiling, dump in the kailan and stir till well cooked. Next, quickly stir in some corn starch solution. The thickened sauce should stick and glaze the leaves of the kailan. Dish up and eat while it's hot with plain rice!!!

I've tried another version using long beans and carrot strips without any meat. Don't bother to try this version ok since the long beans cannot soak up the dace and gravy unlike leafy kailan.

stir fry long beans with fried dace with salted black beans

The next round, I've used Hong Kong kailan which is ohhh so tender and delicious. No meat was used too. Mmmmm it was superb!


stir fry HK kailan with fried dace with salted black beans 02 stir fry HK kailan with fried dace with salted black beans 01

Hubby and I concurred that this dish is very "poisonous" LOL poisoned both of us to eat more rice than necessary which is bad!!! Very very hearty... don't say I poison you too heh.

Easter is the perfect time to take a moment to count your blessings. May your basket are full of them today and always. Happy Easter to all!

Technorati Tags: + +

10 comments:

  1. Fried dace and kailan is an interesting combination, but I think I'll love it. Gonna try it out on my guinea pig. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually braise bittergourd with canned dace. It tastes great with white porridge.

    I think the server here in UAE has blocked flickr, as with skype. Lucky they never block blogspot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum... haven't had fried dace with black bean in ages...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ai yo yo... when can i try neh ??

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's creative, I never thought of cooking fried dace in black bean with veggie... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, hope it's alright for me to add your blog to my links. You have a great blog here, I'm going to look to you as my guide to chinese cooking, an area which I need a lot of work on ;P

    ReplyDelete
  7. lemongrass, guarantee you'll lick your plate clean haha

    kat, hmmm never done that with bittergourd. maybe can agak2 my way thru. aiks, any particular reason for the ban? they worried about XXX materials ka?

    wilson, haha poor thing, do come back often ya.

    where have you been bearyip? so long no see you. you can try making this tomorrow.

    bee yinn, neither do i, lucky i managed to catch this episode on telly.

    thanks for coming by and linking me bee nee. we, food bloggers, learn from each other all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. good on u! now u just need to add a squeeze of lime to the dish... brings out the flavor in the fried dace

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting combi! Even more so with lanatir's suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. maybe can do that the next time, lanatir

    faster go and try this out, tummythoz!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012