Tuesday 26 September 2006

Fresh Cream Puffs

I happened to picked up the May - June 2006 edition of Flavours on Saturday and re-read the mag. Glancing thru the ingredients I have with me, looks like I could try making cream puffs, published under Chef's Technique hosted by Jean-Michel Fraisse, since I did not have enough butter to bake a cake. Hence on Sunday, I stirred and baked my first cream puff. I followed the recipe for the choux pastry and fresh cream. Ended up with a batch of Fresh Cream Puffs (Choux Chantilly) where the puffs weren't as fluffy and crispy. Definitely way off from Beard Papa's.

I suspected that I did not cook the choux pastry long enough before beating in the eggs AND I sort of under baked the pastry! Must practise on my next batch soon. Anyone wanna volunteer to be a guinea pig? Haha cos I ended having too much to be eaten within the same day.

fresh cream puffs

CHOUX PASTRY

250ml water
65g butter
1/8 tsp salt
125g plain flour
3-4 eggs

Place water, butter and salt in a pan. Bring to boil. Remove from heat and add the flour all at once, stirring continously with wooden spatula. Place pan over high heat and cook, stirring continously until mixture leaves the sides of the pan. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes. Mix in the eggs one by one, stirring to incorporate well after each addition.

Fill pastry into piping bag attached with round nozzle. Pipe into golf ball sized shapes, 5cm (2 inches) apart on parchment lined tray. (I was too lazy with this that I just dropped them onto the tray using spoons.)

Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow the puffs to cool and dry out in the oven with the door open.

FRESH CREAM

200ml UHT cream
50g sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
icing sugar for dusting

Beat together cream, sugar and vanilla essence until thick and stiff. Fill pastry cream into a piping bag attached with round nozzle. Fill the puff by inserting the nozzle into a hole pierced at the bottom of the puff. (Like I've mentioned earlier, I was lazy, well it was a Sunday haha... so I just cut the puffs into halves leaving the last bit of the puff attached and spooned in the cream.) Dust with icing sugar. Refrigerate and serve chilled.


Ref: Jean-Michel Frisse, 2006, Puff Perfect, Flavours, Vol. 13, Issue 6, No. 56


Technorati Tags: +

8 comments:

  1. oo yum yum.. looks lovely!
    the creme in beard papa's cream puff is creme patisserie, made with milk, corn flour, egg yolks, vanilla beans and sugar :) I tried the beard papa here in sydney, but I still think, the one in m'sia is better :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. u can make them now, PabloPabla! else goto MVM for your fix hehe

    yahyah sweesan... i saw the recipe but too lazy to use that many ingredients haha and i din hv PC to access yr site for recipe :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow babe, thanks for sharing da recipe.. think me will try to make this one fine day cause i love cream puff especially da one from Beard Papa..

    ReplyDelete
  4. :D Babe jie.... I used the same Choux Pastry recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. but meiyen mine turned out not as great as beard papa, lemme know how your's turn out

    yaka cyrene but how come yours came out so nice geh??? adui i must try making 2nd batch but i need makan volunteers :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will never be like beard papa as they are using special flour and chemicals. Not natural at all.
    Cook it until golden brown and leave in the oven the door open to try. Fill with the cream last minute. Difficult to make buns in tropical countries as the buns turn soft because of humidity. If you want to keep crispy and prepare in advance, keep in refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012