Tuesday 5 September 2006

Banana Shortbread

banana shortbread

This is a very simple but extremely delicious banana cake made with the recipe from The World of Bread in Alex Goh Baking Class series. As compared with the Banana Cake I had made earlier using boo_licious' recipe, this one is denser and the texture is like those store bought cake BUT more fragrant without the cloying banana essence flavouring that I dislike. My youngest brother told me the cake tasted good which is a good sign since I have not had favourable ratings from him on my cakes.

I've no idea how this cake was made known as shortbread in the book but Alex Goh mentioned that this cake is usually known as bread in the western world but it has the texture of a cake. Do give it a try. I've used 500g of banana and omitted the nuts. Feel free to experiment.

Banana Shortbread

(A)
250g sugar
130g margarine (I used butter)
1 tsp sodium bicarbonate
1/2 tsp salt

(B)
2 eggs

(C)
300g banana, mashed

(D)
300g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
80ml milk

(E)
100g chopped walnuts

Cream (A) till light and fluffy. Add (B) and cream till smooth. Add (C), mix till well blended. Mix (D) till well combined. Add (E) and mix till well incorporated.

Pour mixture into a greased and lined loaf tin (L20cm X W10cm X H8.5cm). This quantity and mixture makes 2 loaves. To make the bread look extra attractive, sprinkle some chopped walnuts on top. Bake at 180C for 45 minutes.


Technorati Tags:

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE banana cake/bread anything so I'm going to bookmark this page and try this one out! Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...hi tuk i see u here too!! I love ANYTHING with Banana!!! :>
    looks good babeKL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!
    I need cooking help and you sound like you're a lady who knows everything.
    I'm looking for a recepie for something I think is called "lumpur" - its glutinous rice stuffed with i think dried prawns, coconut, chilli and sambal and then wrapped in bannana leaf and steamed.
    Please help! Even if you only know its name!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmMMM, that banana cake looks yummy!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. cool eh, so many banana lovers here huh, tuktoyaktuk & fashionasia. hope you'll like the outcome when you make this.

    hi catherine, thanks for thinking so highly of me, really "paiseh" (blushing). actually there is a couple of name for this particular kuih that you've mentioned but i've forgotten one of it. you know what, you're really in luck cos i just saw my fellow food blogger put up this recipe in her blog. check it out here
    http://belachan2.blogspot.com/2006/08/rempah-udang.html

    J, it really tasted good actually, dense in texture where else boo_licious' recipe is lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I love Banana Bread too. You are right, it's called Banana Bread here, but I am not too sure what kind of pisang they use in the US. We don't have the Malaysian "species," all the pisang here are very big and don't taste good. I love the Malaysian pisang with black seeds in them...those are the best!

    Babe - have you tried corn bread? It's good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. bee yinn, could you ripen the bananas for this cos i know the sellers here use over-ripe bananas for cakes. i havent try corn bread, will check out the recipe soon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cannot make banana bread/cake here yet. Do you know that right now in Perth, the price of banana is around AU$12.00 and sometimes AU$15.00 for a kilo of banana. A punnet of strawberry now is only AU$1.99. Guess banana is as good as gold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. jackson, could it be that you did not mash the bananas into even size. hence the larger chunks sunk to the bottom.

    OMG flower, gimme all those strawberries!!! it's so expensive here... those good ones are around RM15 a small punnet.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012