Sunday 25 June 2006

Sweet Potatoes Onde-Onde

I've bought a lot of sweet potatoes while we were in Cameron Highlands. I've steamed them, baked them and boiled in ginger syrup but yet I've so many left to rot. I had to think fast what to do with them and I suddenly remembered having read in SeaDragon's Cafe of the East that he have used sweet potatoes to make onde-onde. Onde-onde essentially is made of glutinous rice flour wrapped with gula melaka (palm sugar) fillings and coated with freshly grated coconut.

I did not followed the recipe strictly but basically adding the flour until the right consistency (soft and does not stick to hands) and I did not use any additional flavouring or colouring. They turned out soft and tasted fabulous, far superior than the normal plain ones without sweet potatoes.

These are the shaped onde-onde before cooking.


onde-onde b4


These are the cooked ones complete with freshly grated coconut coating. Just remember to ask the shopkeeper for younger ccoconut and not to grate deep into the shell. Usually if you tell them you want to make kuih with it, they'll know what to do. Add a bit of salt into the coconut and store them in the fridge before usage to prevent the coconut from turning rancid in our hot weather.


onde-onde


I'm not going to reproduce the recipe here, so go on to Cafe of the East to find mouth watering cakes and Asian delights with the onde-onde recipe done step-by-step with photos as well. Thank you SeaDragon for sharing the recipe.

Technorati Tags: +

4 comments:

  1. I bought the normal ondeh-ondeh or buah melaka from our neighbourhood Oriental shop last Saturday. They also have nasi lemak bungkus, kuih ang koo,pre packed chee chong fun, char siew pau and other malay kuih. Just imagine seeing a local kuih make me so excited. Feel like home....

    ReplyDelete
  2. babe_kl,
    They look yummy! Glad the recipe is of help :)
    BTW, I'm a he, not a she ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oppsie, i'm SO sorry seadragon, will amend now *blush*

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012