Saturday 3 June 2006

Marble Cake

marble cake

Let's take a break from Cameron Highlands. I baked a Marble Cake a few weeks back using a basic butter cake recipe in Agnes Chang's Baking Made Easy. Easy peasy cos I've used a mixer to do the job. Boo_licious, in case you're reading this, yeah my Kitchen Aid is a KSM90. Due to the volume of the batter, my cake rises too much in the centre. I needed to bake slightly longer in the oven which made the sides slighly on the drier side but nevertheless it still tasted great, not too sweet nor oily. My mom gave a thumb up (very rare ok, always not up to standard haha), so did my aunt who is a fantastic cook.

Basic Butter Cake

250g butter
200-250g castor sugar (I used 200g which everyone said very nice, not too sweet)
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
250g self-raising flour
4 tbsp milk

Put butter and caster sugar into mixing bowl and use low speed to mix till even. Change to medium speed and beat till light (sugar has not dissolved yet).

Add in first egg. Beat well after each addition of egg until creamy. Scrape down the sides for even mixing. Add in vanilla essence and mix well.

Divide flour into 3 portions, use lowest speed to mix in flour. Scrape down sides for even mixing. Finally, add in milk. Mix till combined.

marble cake batter01 marble cake batter02

Pour into a 22cm lined and greased baking tin. Shake lightly to distribute mixture evenly. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 degree Celcius for about 45 minutes until golden brown. Test with skewer. Remove from oven and leave to cool.

For marble cake, keep 1/4 portion of cake mixture and mix in cocoa paste (use 1 tbsp cocoa powder mix with 3 tbsp hot water). Use a spoon to spoon cocoa mixture on top of plain mixture. Use small knife to draw vertical lines to get marble effect. Turn baking tin and draw more lines to get stronger marble effect before putting into a pre-heated oven to bake.


Technorati Tag:

4 comments:

  1. I'm admiring your kitchenaid mixer. One day I will get mine. One day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. flower, its an ultimate dream come true ok

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great marble cake which I'll have to make sometime. Great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Mike. you have lotsa fabulous recipes there too, will try them out later on ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012