Monday 12 June 2006

Carrot Cake

Mmmm this is one of my favourite no-fail cake recipe. I've been making this carrot cake countless of times and most times I varies it by adding different kind of nuts and sultanas or raisins. This cake pack the punch with the large amount of carrots and nuts in it (but feel free to add more) and best of all it's moist and lovely hinted with spices. This recipe was featured in a Her World Cookbook Vol 49 circa mid-90s. I love this volume as it was themed "Festive Guide". I've tried a lot of the recipes in this book and so far they never disappoint.

carrot cake

Carrot Cake

200g self- raising flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
4 eggs
250g castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
250ml vegetable oil (try to use light oil ie sunflower/canola oil)
pinch of salt
300g carrots, grated
150g sultanas
50g hazelnuts/almonds
50g walnuts, roughly chopped

In a large bowl, sieve flour with spices and make a well in the centre. Add eggs, sugar, vanilla essence, oil and salt. Mix lightly before incorporating the rest of the ingredients.

Pour batter into a 28cm greased cake tin and bake about an hour or until skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool before frosting with cream cheese.

Cream Cheese Frosting

250g cream cheese
1 tbsp castor sugar
juice of one orange/lemon
grated zest of one orange/lemon

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and stir throughly. Chill well before frosting the carrot cake.


This is how it looked like after frosting with the cream cheese. Prefect as a Birthday Cake! (Kindly excuse my frosting skill... I'm a noob in cake decorating heh...)

carrot cake wid cream cheese frosting copy


Technorati Tags:

5 comments:

  1. Happy happy joy joy! Babe_KL, Calabria is still in business. You went on a monday? They are off on Monday and at every other days, they closed at 3pm and open back at 6pm for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Honey Star, it was a Sat wor... which is rather strange to be closed on a Sat. Will check again if i'm in that area. Thanks honey bunch ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesnt really matter how it look as long as it taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Babe
    Last night I bake your marble cake. And it turn out well. So today I send some to my son's teacher in his kindy. I always bake them something. Thanks for the recipe. I follow your sugar measurement as I do not like it too sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha flower, i have to agree with you. glad to know the butter cake turned out well. thanks to agnes chang for the recipe ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012