Friday 23 June 2006

IMBB27 + SHF20 = The Joy of Soy

Yippeeee two-in-one-event again... saves a lot of time. Thanks Reid for being so thoughtful ahahaha. This round of Is My Blog Burning? and Sugar High Fridays is hosted by non other than Reid of 'Ono Kine Grindz. It's ingenious to match both events with the theme of soy. Soy is so versatile that it can be used for savoury or sweet dishes. It is so commonly used in Chinese cooking ranging from soy sauce, soy milk, beancurd in all sorts of types, bean sauces etc.

Actually my post stemmed from my previous Sugar High Friday: Ginger it Up! entry where I ranted that I've tried unsuccessfully to make steamed ginger-flavoured milk curd. Mike of Foodcrazee sent me a recipe he had gotten from Stefanie in Jamie Oliver's forum shortly after that and I managed to curd the milk successfully on my first attempt. I did not manage to post up the entry until opportunity came when I saw IMBB27 + SHF20 = The Joy of Soy announcement on 'Ono Kine Grindz a few days back. Thank you so much Mike & Stefanie for sharing the recipe.


steamed milk with ginger


Fresh Milk Curd is a popular dessert found in Hong Kong and some parts of China and having tasted them in Hong Kong made me craves for them but sadly I can't seems to find one that tasted as good as those in Hong Kong. Hence my many attempts to recreate the curd came about. Somehow the different variation that I've tried did not manage to curd until I tried this one. This recipe called for the use of soy milk instead of milk, maybe my next attempt I'll try to use fresh milk instead. I would also need to tweak the recipe by adding more rock sugar and ginger juice. The curd was light and silky with a subtle hint of ginger almost like tau foo far (soy milk curd served with syrup. Hubby gave thumbs up.

Here's Stefanie's recipe:

Fresh Milk Curd with Ginger

3 cups fresh unsweetened soy milk
2 large, fresh eggs
1 tbsp ginger juice (I used young ginger)
Seeds of half a vanilla
pod or 1/2 tsp good quality vanilla extract
3 pandan leaves, knotted (I’ve omitted this)
1/4 to 1/3 cup crushed rock sugar

Warm milk up in a pan with vanilla, pandan leaves and sugar. Leave to steep for 1 to 2 hours. Remove leaves, whisk in rest of ingredients and strain into ramekins. Steam over very low heat for 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the size of your container. Don't be impatient, and turn up the heat, it will result in a tough exterior.

Thanks Reid for taking the trouble to host both events.

Technorati Tags: + + +

7 comments:

  1. Hello babe_kl,

    Thanks for playing along. You were the second entry! WOO HOO! This desssert sounds so yummy, I'm definitely going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Reid, your creme caramel looked delish too

    ReplyDelete
  3. cin, it does tasted like tau foo far so all the better if you like it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi babe - this sounds lovely, look at the super smooth texture! Just one thing, could I ask what pandan leaves are like?

    ReplyDelete
  5. keiko, check here

    http://www.asiafood.org/glossary_1.cfm?alpha=P&wordid=3294&startno=1&endno=25

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been snooping at your blog. Totally love your stuffs. You have a friend who is now in LCB Sydney? I was there two years ago... is she having fun with handsome chef Andre and gorgeous chef Gert? :)
    broiche@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you want to use milk, you need to use whole fat milk. To make chemical reaction going on, you need to mix ginger and milk at 140- 176 F. When you pour milk, you have to pour from 20 CM high.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012