Wednesday 15 July 2009

Announcing Merdeka Open House 2009's Theme

Dear all Malaysians floggers, bloggers and non-bloggers alike,

I was contemplating whether to organise another virtual open house this year, after successful rounds of Merdeka Open House which started in Year 2006 with the theme Recipe Long Forgotten; 2007's Muhibbah and last year's Mee and My Malaysia. I thought that by not bring it up, I could just let it go hahaha but how wrong I was. After going through the comments and the recent one by Sugar & Spice of Masala Heaven, looks like I would have to organise one since quite a number did not manage to make it last year.

For the past 3 years, I've conducted polls to decide on the themes but this year there is no need for one as I've gone through the past suggestions and decided to pick one from there. With this, I would like to announce the theme for Merdeka Open House 2009 will be My Sweet Malaysia.

My Sweet Malaysia

Sweet would be rather apt now with so much going on with our political scenes, language issues for our school going children, A(H1N1), haze and the list just go on and on. I supposed it would be great to show case something to sweeten up this 52nd Independence Day (Hari Merdeka Ke-52).

My Sweet Malaysia would need participants to cook up traditional sweets of all kind as long as it tastes sweet be it desserts of your ethnic group; or something sweet your family serves for tea or snack. There will be no restrictions as to whether it has to be halal or not. This time the challenge would be which sweet traditional recipe to pick from!!!! Hahaha yes cos we have so many yummilicious (my boiboi's current fave word!) sweets on the list, very headache but this is so much simpler than attempting Recipe Long Forgotten!

Let me give you some examples to start with cendol; ice-kacang; sago gula melaka; fresh milk curd; onde-onde; pak tong koh; bubur chacha; tee nyah kuih; egg custard; ghee ball; ang koo; and all the various kuih-muih like ketayap, kuih bakar, nine layer kuih, kuih talam and I could go on and on till all my cows come home!

My only request would be if possible, stick to traditional recipe without any shortcuts or replacement of ingredients to make it modern or fusion but it is all right for overseas participants due to limited ingredients. This open house is something for us to cherish our wonderful roots and we hope we could preserve the recipes that our ancestors have hand down.

I will post up the details on what you need to do if you're participating later on but the gist of this open house is to cook up something based on the theme and post it on your blog on the stipulated date. Send me the details and I will round up all the submissions on Merdeka Day itself. Those without a blog could also participate as I could post up your entry on your behalf.

So please let the whole world know of this virtual open house as all Malaysians and also those who are married to Malaysians are welcome to partipate, pssst actually I'm quite flexy, if you're unsure, just drop a comment here or send me a mail ;-)


Technorati Tag:

27 comments:

  1. Thanks for informing me. I want to participate this year. Kuih/Sweet is my favourite........... Btw, ala haliah kasi kah? kekeke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. heyyy babe, thanks for the invite. wahhh .. sweet stuff ah, quite the not easy horrr .. luckily i brought home a tradional dessert book from my last visit back .. so opportunity to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wooo hooo love this theme!!! I know exactly what I want to make but but oh no I want to make that kuih too... and that one... and that one! And as always hope to try others' recipes!
    you're da bomb, Babe!
    BTW I tweeted this - you should go on twitter too lah! Will post somethign and connect to this post later today!
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to participate but I'm not sure we'll be able to cook something with what little time we have left. Is it alright to update / repost one of our old favorite desserts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. is it that time of year ALREADY?! wow, time flies!

    LOL, how apt.. i just did dat angku-licious post! lovely ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. *shakes dust off Desserts Recipe Book* Hehe, maybe it's time i do something with this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I still recall I just started by blog and the first thing I did was to promise to participate with my Mee Siam over banana leaf last year! Gosh! One year blog-versari for me soon!!!! Ok will try to participate too this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. erina, tarak la hahaha this is not a contest, open house wor, maybe we should organise one later, you can be one of the sponsors!! hehe

    yes lianne esp if you need to reproduce traditional recipes from where you are now :D

    see lisa, told ya it's gonna be very challenging cos we have too many sweet goodies on our plate :p dun wan to tweet la, i hv too much on my plate oredi :(

    nate/annie, errr i'm not sure when are you moving but submission is towards end Aug. if really cannot, i think it should be all right :D the more the merrier!

    yalor c&c... errr can cumi make angku??? :p

    yes you should PureGlutton!!! mark down on yr calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Babe, thanks for letting me know! I'll try to work on something for this year :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aiya, I am not good in sweet stuff lah, but will think of something. Remind me again when the dates draw closer, being in the US, sometimes I terlupa. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh this would be an easy one for me. Not many choices since I oni can boil simple tong-sui successfully. =,(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do count me in.....will make something 'sweet' to commemorate with the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Count me in !!! wooo.. this is sooo exciting !!I hope i can pull out something nice .. heheh.. have to call mum for help this weekend ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great theme. Thanks for taking the effort to host this - now I'll have to put on my thinking cap on what to make really..hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  15. Annie says she wants to do sago gula melaka. But I may have given our package of sago away oredi... We'll do something. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great theme! Will participate again this year for sure. Thanks for hosting this event again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Finally planned on what I'm gonna be doing. Will post up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Although I enjoy eating all these sweet snacks at home, I seldom cook them except for tong sui. But I will try my best to participate. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. wah congrats Family First

    ParisB, thanks

    KongKay, I think I'm starting to feel heaty too

    hahaha Bee, I oso worried I'll forget

    Yay Tummythoz!

    Thanks FoodnTravella

    JinHooi, means I knew you for a year already??!!

    Thanks Praveen but could you hold your horses. I know you're excited but this event will only held end of Aug so don't post up so soon. Instructions will be posted up next week.

    Thanks Nate n Annie

    LCOM, looking forward to your entry

    Thanks Food for Tots

    ReplyDelete
  20. whoa,....now i am giddy with excitement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looking forward to your entries, ICook4Fun & rachel

    ReplyDelete
  22. Not a big fan of desserts, I have only one sweet dish recipe up my sleeve. Will post it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow time really flies and its another year gone. Can count me in?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Hazza

    Awwww sorry Sue Sue I forgot to inform you. Looking forward to your entry

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Babe! Sounds interesting...got to crack my head a bit as I've been asked to cut down on sugar :P

    Anyway, will give it a go...

    Does everyone need to cook it? What about posting on your favourite sweet corner in Malaysia? I have one which we've been going to as often as we can ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. kittycat, then you can try those less-sugar version :P actually since this is an open house, preferabily you cook lor unless you absolutely cant.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012