Wednesday 8 October 2008

A Very Fail Tee Nya Kuih

During my last trip to Penang, I managed to try the Tee Nya Kuih and I simply loved it. I posted asking if anyone have the recipe and FooDcrazEE gave me one which lead me to Amy Beh's recipe on Kuali.

I finally got all the ingredients needed except for borax which I've no idea where to get it nor I would like to have it in my homemade stuff. Made the kuih BUT it turned out... well see for yourself!!!

Tee Nya Kuih (Kan Sui Koe)

Compared with these...

New World Park's Tee Nya Kuih New World Park's Tee Nya Kuih with gula melaka

... mine is no where near the real thing!!! It's soft and sticky, a bit too heavy on the alkaline taste. The ones I've tasted is springy and jelly liked with no alkaline taste at all. Don't just tell me that little bit of borax can make such a big difference??? They're not palatable, so I have to throw the whole tray away... such a waste of food urrghh very sinful indeed. Arrghhhh I guess have to go Penang for this fix *sobs*

Kan Sui Koe (Alkaline Kuih With Palm Syrup Dipping Sauce)

Ingredients
300g rice flour
50g green bean flour (lek tau hoon or lok tau fun)
400ml water
1/4 tsp borax (pangsar)
3 tsp alkaline water (kan sui)

Mix together:
800ml water
Tinge of yellow colouring

For palm sugar syrup:
150g palm sugar (gula Melaka)
50g castor sugar
50ml water
2 pandan leaves - knot
200ml thin coconut milk
50ml thick coconut milk

Method
Mix rice flour, green bean flour and water in a mixing bowl. Add borax and alkaline water and blend well to form a batter. Rest the batter for 10 to 15 minutes before straining.

Bring coloured water to a boil in a heavy-based saucepan. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in batter and mix briskly with a wooden spoon until mixture turns thick and gooey.

Pour batter into a lightly greased 19cm square tin. Steam over rapid boiling water for 20 minutes, then turn the heat to medium-low and steam for another 20 to 25 minutes.

Remove kuih from the steamer. Leave aside to cool completely in the tin. Turn out kuih and cut into chunky pieces. Chill well before serving with palm sugar syrup.

To make palm sugar syrup: Place sugar, palm sugar, pandan leaves and water in a small saucepan. Add thin coconut milk and bring to a low boil. Simmer sauce until sugars dissolve completely. Strain, then add thick coconut milk. Continue to simmer until sauce turns syrupy and thick. Cool.

Ref: Amy Beh's recipe at Kuali, The Star Online

Technorati tags: +

14 comments:

  1. maybe u can stir fry the failed result with some XO sauce and sprinkle some bawang goreng on it after that :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no?! poor thing.. but i cannot cook, therefore i cannot help:( but don't worry.. 1 in 1000000000000000 is not a bad fail rate la ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well babe....at least it didn't look too far off! I think it actually looked like the kuih except for the colours.. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom used to make this kueh but we don't eat it sweet. We dip this kueh in Hokkien stew pork. Yeah, my mom always put a bit of 'pang sar' in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with cumi&ciki, can't cook, and of no help at all!!
    But i also agree on the failure rate, that's not a failure lar!;)

    To me, it still came out looking like the real tee nya kueh:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh... long time never see this kuih... borax should be to get from Chinese medicine shop or those old old kedai runcit. it can be use for Tou Fu Fa as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I know, the green + yellow Tee Nya Kuih is from New World Park. I recognise it! I just tried it on last 2 weeks. It tastes average. There are some other places to find a better one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe thats why our soy bean curds are so soft and silky .. cos of pangsar????

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey lanatir, i heard some places serve this wid bkt or stew

    hahaha very funny ciki!

    no ler superheroes, mine not shiny n smooth

    icook4fun, i heard of that but ok ka to eat borax?? :p

    wait till u take a bite, christy :p

    can get ka... hmm nevermind la, i come to penang you bring me eat chenboon :D

    little inbox, good enough for me though :p

    perhaps family first. i heard they used it on those kuih like kuih talam

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow you really take the effort to try it out after trying. my first time hearing about the kuih.

    oh btw, ive added u under my blogger khaki (blogroll) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks 味蕾“滢” 子

    haha quachee, was really hankering for some of those kuih. next time you go penang, you shld try. its totally different, very nice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes, the borax is the thing that makes it non sticky and bouncy.
    Just like those "gan sui joong", to make it bouncy borax is a must. I never use it therefore and gansuijoong don't have a shine to it and it's no where near bouncy and it's sticky.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too tried this recipe and it was also a failure. Mine turned out hard and tasted horrible. Had to throw the whole thing out as well but I'm not giving up. I don't think it's the borax. I know my mom told me that when she makes kan sui chong the borax helps to prevent the dumpling from sticking to the bamboo leaves but we are not using any such thing here, so I figured that it should not make much difference.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012