Friday 10 April 2009

Bubur Cha Cha Using Cocopro Coconut Paste

We picked up a couple of packets of Cocopro Coconut Paste during the second launch of MyNourishment. I told the girls there that I'm gonna make Bubur Cha Cha with them and true enough I set to work that very weekend.


Cocopro Coconut Paste - front Cocopro Coconut Paste - back

I was using Amy Beh's recipe from her first book but modified along the way omitting black eyed peas and sago pearls as her recipe in the book consist of the method of making the starchy dough.

To make the starchy dough, divide 150g tapioca flour into 2 portions and place into 2 mixing bowls. Mix red colouring with 70ml hot water and another 70ml of hot water with green colouring. Pour the hot water into the flour separately and mix with wooden spoon. Mix well to form a pliable dough. Roll out each portion with rolling pin and cut into shapes of your choice. Dust the pieces with tapioca flour then steep in boiling water. Stir to prevent them from sticking. Boil until they float to surface. Remove and soak in cold water for 10-15 mins. Remove and set aside.

I've used 600gm of sweet potatoes of the orange and yellow variety and 700gm yam. For the first packet of coconut paste I added 250ml water as per instruction. After tasting, there isn't enough coconut milk, so I added the next packet mixed with 150ml water. Add in the starchy dough before serving.

I find this Cocopro is easy to use but the taste can't match pure coconut milk. It doesn't have that coconut oil smell nor taste though unlike some brands. The other brand that I fancy if I can't find fresh coconut milk is Ayam brand's which tasted like the real thing and most importantly doesn't have the coconut oil smell nor taste. They come in a light version too.

Sorry the picture came out lousy and yucky as it was a gloomy day.

Bubur Cha Cha made with Cocopro Coconut Paste

Gula Melaka Version of Bubur Cha Cha
Bubur Cha Cha


Technorati Tags: +

6 comments:

  1. Might try to make that starchy thingie with your recipe. I love bubur cha cha. And I love with becoz of the starchy bits. when I used to work, my boss's wife Mrs A used to make a lot of bubur chacha for us, using the banana, yam from her garden. But because I was not interested in cooking when I was in Msia, I never asked her for the starchy thingie recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow....thanks for sharing this recipe...will ask my wife to follow ur recipe...

    i just did siew mai today...hv a look...clicked on ur g -ads to support u.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss bubur cha cha so much! The last time I tasted was during Chap Goh Meh. I think to prepare with fresh coconut milk will be better. I have phobia to try the coconut paste, there is a weird smell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. flower, my first time making the starchy bits too n i liked it

    thanks vialentino

    my taste heaven, actually i'm afraid of using packet coconut too but i find ayam brand is the best, no coconut oil smell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes for a good size bowl of BBCC on a rainy day!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012