Monday 29 November 2004

Bubur Cha Cha

Cha cha cha... Cha cha cha... Cha cha... hehehe this dish has nothing to do with cha cha the dance. It's sweet potatoes, taro cooked in sweetened coconut milk. It's a tong shui or sweet dessert. Bubur in Malay means porridge, in this case, a sweet one that is. Not sure how the Cha Cha came about. I wonder how the name originated? Is it a dish originated from the Baba and Nyonya?

Errr I actually have no idea how to make this but I just agak-agak (guess) my way thru. Well it turned out well except that it was over-boiled till the santan (coconut milk in Malay) breaks. Forgot to tell hubby not to let it come to a boil whilst I was bathing my boiboi. Nevertheless, it tasted still nice hehe...

Since I have some steamed taro left from the Taro Rice, I went down to the market and got some purple and orange sweet potatoes; and grated coconut. Cubed the sweet potatoes and steamed them still soften. Added some cooled boiled water to grated coconut and squeezed out the thick milk. In actual fact both hubby and I have no idea how to do this, so we just go along with our guess-timate hahaha... Thanks to hubby, he managed to squeezed out the thinned milk after adding water to the squeezed grated coconut.

So we boiled the thinned milk first, then added in the steamed taro and sweet potatoes. Place in sugar and pandan (screw pine) leaves. Then added in some boiled sago pearls. Subsequently added in the thick milk and just let it heat thru. One not supposed to let the milk go to a roaring boil as this action will break the coconut milk. Well, I think hubby was not aware of this hence, we do not have a nice looking bubur cha cha.

Also, I've used the purple sweet potatoes which gave the bubur a tinge of lavendar haha... now I seems to remember not eating bubur cha cha with purple ones in them. They're usually the yellow and orange varieties :p I always love the chewy starchy bits in Bubur Cha Cha but I've no idea how to make them so I substituted with sago pearls.

Here was the end result...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012