Monday 7 May 2007

Review: Roast Duck at BBQ Kong Meng

I was on half day medical leave a few weeks back for having vertigo. My head spinned for a good 3 weeks before it finally cleared off this week. I was virtually floating my way round and it's very disturbing to be imbalanced. Some of you might have noticed that I did some floating during the flogger's meet but I can vouch it's not because of the Martells ok haha...

Anyway, on the day the doctor diagnosed me with vertigo, hubby picked me up around 11.00am and off we went to Menara PGRM to settle our income tax stuff. Before heading home we decided grab a bite. Since we're around that vicinity, I had to go for some roast duck. I think the foodblog spheres seem to be having lots of roast duck of late haha but then this one is my closely guarded secret. Will let you guys know why later. I'm very reluctant here but good things ought to be shared huh??

KM - Restoran BBQ Kong Meng

Today, I'm bringing you guys to Restoran BBQ Kong Meng located in Taman Maju Jaya in Cheras. It's the taman after Shamelin Perkasa as shown in the map below. Kong Meng sells mainly Roast Ducks but you can pre-order Pei Pa Duck (halved and spread out for roasting) by calling them in advance. Other complimentary roasts such as siew yuk (roast pork) or char siew (barbeque pork) are also available.

We have half portion of roast duck (RM23.00) which both of us whacked down with white rice. We managed to finish up everything! Scary eh but the duck meat was so good. Aromatics Chinese spices can be detected on the tender meat coupled with super crispy skin. They'll bring the duck to the kitchen to douse it with boiling hot oil before serving, hence the super crispy skin, just like the way Soon Fatt Beijing Roasted Duck did theirs. One large roast duck costs RM49 here. Can't remember how much is a smaller one.

KM - Siew Ngap (Roast Duck)

The meat were best dipped in the sauce (I think made with soybean paste and some other ingredients) and a very delicious home made sourish garlicky chilli sauce. Between hubby and I, we finished almost half a container of chilli sauce *sshhhhhhh...*

KM - dipping sauce n chili dip

A Yin Yang vegetable (RM9.00) was recommended and I have no idea there is a breed of vegetable that combined choy sum and kai lan! We asked for a simple preparation of stir frying in garlic but was told later that this vegetable is best to be stir fried with sambal belacan!! Darn... but nevermind, hopefully we can go again soon.

KM - yin yang vege (breed of kailan and choysum)

Ahem, on my reluctance... Kong Meng serves duck tongues! Arrghhh the secret is out! Not many places in Kuala Lumpur does this and this commodity is so priceless that Kong Meng will only sell them when they have collected enough tongues from the ducks they sell, plus they usually sell them to regulars! So not everyday they'll have the tongues. I had many privileges tasting the tongues due to my kaki makan colleagues. They were the first whom cajolled me to try them. After my first try, goshhh I had wanted more and more. Usually Kong Meng will have to cook the tongues with some squid since there aren't that many tongues to make up a dish. This dish is simply cooked in a slight sourish sauce with loads of chopped fresh red chillies. Absolutely delicious! The texture of the tongues is on the crunchy side and they're basically tasteless. No picture since we did not order any, don't think my hubby is up to such fetish kekeke... *sobs* now I have to content with you guys my share of duck tongues unless you invite me along eh???

Restoran BBQ Kong Meng
11 Lorong Bunga Melati 2A
Taman Maju Jaya, Cheras
56100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 603-9282 4818

Opens from late morning for lunch till while stocks last hehe... can be till 2.00 or 4.00 pm. While I was there, someone came by and order one duck to be picked up at 7.00 pm!

Kong Meng BBQ Map
Click map to enlarge.

Technorati Tags: +

18 comments:

  1. waaa...see pics can lau hau sui edy... but nowadays have to watch out...duck can be a trigger for headache+tingling for me.

    duck tongue?? does it taste something like pork innards? chewy and ducky??

    ReplyDelete
  2. ac, migrane inducing ka? the tongue is tasteless and its crunchy, nothing like pork innards, well not that i eat them all :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what. As I was typing this, I actually swallowed my saliva .. just by looking at the photos. That's how powerful visual temptations can be. I would live to try out this place someday. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha...not feeling well yet still have the mood to take picture of food?? Hope you are much better now. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. no problem tim

    pea, as long as i dun do big movement, i'm ok. wat to do, once a flogger, always a flogger ma :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. wah, so brave hor, got vertigo still go income tax office. i might have just pengsan-ed terus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this duck looks fabulous! i love ducks in any form, roasted, braised, panfried..yums!
    also, do take care of yourself..i've got vertigo since a few years back, and it never really seems to go away.. comes back and haunts me now and then :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. caught with vertigo but still go around?? haha..wishing u a speedy recovery..and the ducky looks good..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I take pork innards but still dare not take tongues. Keep having d vision of biting own tongue. Ewws. BUT since u say it's so very very good... (a born glutton)

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha fbb, wat to do hv to file our taxes! anyway i was told to fill up something, wahliau the moment i looked down nearly pengsaned :p ask hubby to kau tim :D

    sc, vertigo come back one ka?? aiyoyo... eh then you must try this roast duck and the tongues too ok.

    kampungboycitygal, haha i was still ok then very gungho and i persisted, just make everyday like normal. took me 3 weeks to get back to normal.

    tummythoz, i dun take most innards, but this one very different. well at least try one piece first :p

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow near enough to my place, will definitely try this one day. My favourite meat somemore. Yumm...

    ReplyDelete
  12. must tell my mum abt this place as she loves duck tongues or was it goose? She brought back packets of it from HK recently which she kept raving on. Do take care and hope yr vertigo goes away soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ROAST DUCK!!! Woo Hoo! But not a fan of duck tongue, so, won't "fight" with you. LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  14. tan, i'm surprised you din know of this place since so near to home

    boo_licious, it's duck cos they dun sell goose. thanks, my vertigo has gone and hopefully wont get it again

    wmw, teehehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Near enough only. I'm not staying in Maju Jaya or Pandan area.

    Anyway, after looking at the pic of the roasted duck, I immediately went to makan duck drumstick for lunch, to satisfy my craving! Kekekeke... :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. good to hear your vertigo's gone...hope its gone for good la babe jie.

    yea duck is migrane inducing for me la...sigh. just need to watch what i eat nowadays.

    but please please blog on...at least getting to see piccies of nice delish food makes me happy *big grin*

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love duck! great that you've a map here! Cheras is just too big to be explored to me :-(

    ReplyDelete
  18. THAT is my ultimately favourite place for roast duck! the only place that i think of for roast duck! hahah...

    i used to work in Shamelin, and my colleagues brought me there the first time. no where else's roast duck compares =P

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012