Wednesday 7 August 2013

Day 7: Zespri® Green Kiwifruit Chutney With Grill Chicken


It's the half way mark of my Zespri® 14-Day Daily Scoop of Amazing Challenge. It has been a bit crazy in the house right now with me on a kiwifruit recipes testing mode. So far Capt'n Hook and Boiboi have been enjoying the fruits of labour. No complains yet of “What??? Another kiwifruit dish?” haha

With the amount of Zespri® Kiwifruits we have eaten, needless to say our toilet visits have never been smoother, no thanks to the amount of fibre we have been ingesting. Zespri® Kiwifruits have both insoluble and soluble fibres that work simultaneously to promote smooth bowel movement. The insoluble fibre in kiwifruit increase stool bulk, while soluble fibre aids in absorbing water resulting in softer, bulkier stool. These enable stool to move more smoothly and quickly in the colon.

To enjoy these benefits, don’t forget to eat at least 2 medium sized Zespri® Kiwifruits everyday! You can really feel the difference in just 7 days. Check out www.zespri.com.my to find out more of the benefits of eating kiwifruits.

I’ve been challenging myself to create more savoury dishes using Zespri® Kiwifruits as there are already loads of dessert and sweet dishes recipes using kiwifruits that you can find using google.

Well, this Zespri® Green Kiwifruit Chutney is not exactly savoury as it’s sweet and sourish but it goes with meat very very well. I’ve served it with pan grilled chicken breast and a salad. Surprising, the verdict that came from both the boys were very good. So happy as I was afraid that the chutney was way too sour for them. Capt’n Hook commented that the chicken breast meat was cooked perfectly, tender and most importantly moist! Hehehe that was then I let out the secret!

Did you know that kiwifruits are natural meat tenderizer? I did just that by testing it on chicken breast meat since many locals does not like that part of the chicken. As Capt’n Hook can be quite fussy with his piece of breast, I just kept my fingers crossed that it’ll work. I just squeeze half a Zespri® Green Kiwifruit into pulp like and smear them all over on 4 halves of chicken breast meat and just let it work it’s magic for about 30 minutes. I dabbed away the kiwifruit pulp using paper towel. Easy as that!

Day 7 Kiwifruit Tenderiser

I can say all I want but the verdict is the taste of the chutney. I guess it will be a top seller if I start bottling them for sale :p yes, I’m that freaking confident! The recipe is here if you’re not lazy, otherwise, come to me when I start a business hahaha

Zespri® Green Kiwifruit Chutney
(Manage to fill about 500g jam jar)

3 Zespri® Green Kiwifruit (about 320 g unpeeled), wash, peeled and dice into fairly large chunks
1 onion (100g peeled), diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cm young ginger, minced
80 g raisins
40 g dried cranberries
6 – 8 cloves
1 small cinnamon stick
100 ml apple cider vinegar
½ cup brown sugar (loosely pack), more if you prefer sweeter chutney
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

In a medium pan, saute onion, garlic and ginger in olive oil until onion turn translucent, no brown. Add in cloves and cinnamon stick and stir.

Next, add in raisins and cranberries. Cook until raisins plump up before adding kiwifruits. Stir gently and pour in apple cider vinegar and sugar.

Simmer on medium heat until raisins and cranberries become plump and very soft, and kiwifruits start to loose its shape. The vinegar should have reduced to almost nothing.

Serve with meats, hard cheeses and bread ;-) yums.


Pan Grill Chicken Breast

2 pieces skinless chicken breast meat, cut into halves*
½ Zespri® Green Kiwifruit, squeeze into pulp
Salt and ground black pepper

Rub kiwifruit pulp all over meat and let it tenderise for 30 minutes. Dab away the pulp using paper towel. Next, season the meat with salt and black pepper.

You can use a normal frying pan or grill pan for this. Just that if you’re using grill pan, drizzle some olive oil over the meat before placing on the grill. For frying pan, just a little oil to coat the bottom, heat up in medium heat before dropping the meat in. The cooking time depends on the thickness of the meat. Just test by poking a skewer on the thickest part, if the juice runs clear, then it’s cooked. If the juice is pink, continue cooking.

* serving size for 2 but good enough for 3 of us

The salad is just a quick shredded lettuce leaves, tomato wedges and Zespri® Green Kiwifruit chunks. I’ve made a honey mustard dressing (2 Tbsp EVOO + 2 tsp whole grain mustard + 1 Tbsp honey + salt & black pepper to taste) to go with it.

Day 7 Grill Chicken with Zespri Green Kiwifruit Chutney






1 comment:

  1. Thanks, my dear for the recipe! Truly appreciate it! ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012