(Trying to "instagram" the pic lol)
I really loved Donna Hay's Hot Cross Bun recipe which I've made last year. I've knead one today based on this recipe but with some changes in the ingredients. Loved the cinnamon smell whilst the buns are baking in the oven!
Cranberries Hot Cross Buns
Adapted from Donna Hay's Modern Classics 2
For the buns:
1 tablespoon dry yeast
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 cups milk, lukewarm
4 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
2 teaspoons all spice
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
50g butter, melted
1 cup dried cranberries
For the crosses: (mix the ratio of flour and water into thickish but still runny)
1/2 cup plain flour
1/3 cup water
For the glaze:
Strawberry jam, warm in microwave for 10 secs cos I was too lazy to make the glaze (see I told you guys I'm a very lazy person!)
1) Place the yeast, 2 teaspoons of the sugar and milk in a large mixing bowl. Set
aside for 5 minutes, until the mixture starts to foam. When it forms, it means
the yeast is active.
2) Add flour, all spice, cinnamon, butter, egg, raisins, cranberries and remaining sugar to the yeast mixture. Use a spoon to mix until a sticky dough forms.
3) Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 8 minutes, or until it feels elastic. You can use the hook dough on your heavy duty mixer but I didn't. Stretching this dough is not all that difficult.
4) Place in a large oiled bowl, cover with a tea towel and allow to stand in a warm place about 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
5) Divide the dough into 12 pieces and roll into balls.
6) Line a 9X9-inch cake tin with non-stick baking paper. Place the dough balls in the tin and cover with a clean tea towel. Allow to stand for 30 minutes in a warm place, or until they rise.
7) In the mean time, preheat the oven to 200°C. Combine the flour and water for the crosses. Place in a piping bag or a plastic bag with the corner snipped off and pipe crosses on the buns when they are ready to be baked.
8) Bake for 35 minutes or until browned and springy to the touch.
9) Brush the hot cross buns with the warm strawberry jam while the buns are hot. Serve warm, with butter.
Ref: Modern Classics Book 2, Donna Hay
Have a blessed Easter!