Friday 3 April 2009

Fluffy Scones

Last Sunday, I finally made scones, successfully that is!!! I didn't bothered to try again after my last failed attempt, too lazy. :p After all can go to The Teapot Cafe or drive up to Cameron Highlands for some nice scones.

Scones with strawberry jam and clot

I'm happy that this time the scones came out perfect... slight buttery and very fluffy. Thanks to Flower who is now residing in Perth for the wonderful recipe she had left in the comment of my failed attempt. Here's the recipe she had given me...

Scones

3 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp caster sygar
1/2 tsp salt
60g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
(I grated the butter, easier to mix)
1 cup milk
2 tsp lemon juice
1 egg beaten
Milk, extra for brushing.

Preheat the oven to 200 deg.c. Sift the flour & baking powder in a large bowl. Stir in sugar and salt. Add the butter and using fingertips, rub butter into the flour until it resembers fine breadcrumbs.

Mix together the milk and lemon juice - the mixture will curdle slightly. Add the beaten egg and pour into the flour mixture. Mix gentley just until a dough form - do not overwork the dough. Knead very slightly on a slightly floured surface. The dough should be slightly wet and sticky.

Flatten out the dough to a thicken of 3cm and cut out rounds with cookies cutter. Place on a patty tin slightly apart and brush the tops with a little milk. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until risen and golden.

Note: Flower had mentioned that this recipe was found in The Perfect Cookbook by David Herbert.
We have the loveliest scones for breakfast right out of the oven. Served with real strawberry jam and clotted cream... we were on cloud nine!

Scones


Technorati tags:

14 comments:

  1. wooo hooo!!!! I love freshly baked scones out of the oven for breakfast :-) with clotted cream too hehehehe no wonder your feet didn't touch the ground!!!

    Scone is one of the hardest things to get right eh? Until you get just the right recipe. And I am soo glad you have. Will try this recipe soon. TQ for sharing dahlink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so now u can fill them with sambal udang kering!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You oso a fan of scones? So fast and easy to make hor? I've been making them becos my ger loves them. But my recipe is super easy with just 4 ingredients. It's very buttery but I suspect not as light as yours as yours contains milk+lemon juice (sour cream/yogurt does lighten baked goods). I'll give yours a try and compare with mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sedapnye. Dah lama I tak try buat scones. The last time I did it, I asked my 6 years old girl to do it, from the beginning until the end. Have to train them young. ;)

    ps - I love David Herbet cookbook. His recipes compilation for basic food is so easy to make. And the best is, the ingredient he uses is not a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great-looking scone! I have been baking a lot of raisin scones lately because our family is so crazy about scones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. look so yummy, think i will make it for breakfast later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. never get tired of looking at these pix!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhh... i was thinkin of scones n was wondering where to get good ones! ps: where ah clotted cream - supermarkets ah?
    hopping over to ur post on teapot cafe now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the best is from Smokehouse. Tried to hunt down others but never satisfied. May try this recipe for scones-fix. Seems easy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. uh huh lisa... the ingredients so simple but yet so hard to get it all right

    lanatir, u gonna supply me the sambal udang kering?

    GFAD, my failed attempt was using 4 ingredients too but it turned out lousy :(

    bangsar babe, hehe soon!

    thanks foodbin

    terima kasih banyak-banyak Cik Flower hehehe... hmmm my boiboi had wanted to help but just before i start, he went play PS2!! :( then i just ask him to tekan out the scones :P

    food for thots, who does't like scones??? :p

    way to go skinnymum. hope your gurls like them

    c&c, thanks

    nomad gourmand, some cold storage have them and village grocer at bangsar village. btw, we bought a pack of scones from cold storage, the gardens, surprisingly they're pretty good and cheap too!!!

    world windows, good luck ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. something i don't mind waking up to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds delicious....i will definitely give it a try....right away M gonna get the ingredients from www.myethnicworld.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012