Monday 28 January 2008

Pumpkin and Ginger Muffins

Pumpkin & Ginger Muffins

I've used up half a pumpkin for my detox programme and I've another half to play with after my detox. After browsing thru my books I decided to make this Pumpkin and Ginger Muffins with a some minor tweaking. The recipe is from the 500 Cupcakes & Muffins book.

Pumpkin and Ginger Muffins (Makes 1 dozen)

300g plain flour
75g light brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 ground cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
pinch of salt
1 lightly beaten egg
115 g pureed pumpkin
75 ml fat-free milk (I've used low fat)
40 ml sunflower oil
3 tbsp chopped crystallised ginger (I've omitted since I don't have any on hand)
4 tbsp pumpkin seeds


Preheat oven to 175C. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan. In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients with a spoon.

In a large bowl, beat the egg, pumpkin, milk and oil with electric whisk till well blended (I've used hand power, worked as well). Add the flour mixture and mix till nearly combined. Fold in crystallised ginger but do not overmix. Spoon batter into the prepared tin.

Sprinkle each muffins with a few pumpkin seeds. bake for 20 mins. Remove tin from oven and cool for 5 mins. Then remove muffins and cool on rack.

Store in airtight container for up to 2 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. It is best to be stored in the fridge in our weather after the first day.


Adapted from the 500 Cupcakes & Muffins, By Fergal Connolly book (published by PageOne Publishing)

My batter turned out rather thick and sticky, maybe I could have over-stirred or the mixture is a little dry itself. The muffin tasted like steamed cake and I have to say the spices added is of "an acquired taste" kind. I had one with a cup of masala tea sans sugar or milk which went down terribily well together.

Pumpkin & Ginger Muffins With Masala Tea

Reaction from test bunnies as Yozora would have put it... some liked it but majority said it tasted funny or weird. As for myself, it will be quite all right with some tweakings. I would need an additional egg and instead of pureeing cooked pumpkin, I might just try grated fresh pumpkin instead. Will most prolly add in the pumpkin seeds into the batter as well.


Technorati Tags: +

7 comments:

  1. hmmm i remember my mom use to make pumpkin ma lai kou..sweet with a slight hint of savoury

    ReplyDelete
  2. wah. Pumpkin muffins-i haven't tried it with ginger but pepitas (or pumkin seeds) certainly looks good on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I gotta admit, only my Mum loves pumpkins!:p
    BUT, your pumpkin and ginger muffin combination truly fascinates me and they look really pretty!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. where to buy pumpkins ar? i cant recall seeing any pumpkins in markets.. and mixed with ginger?? woohoo, what a combo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. joe, u r so lucky, i never tasted pumpkin ma lai koh before!!!

    hahaha daphne, this recipe is an acquired taste

    christy, looks can be deceiving :p

    raising mercury, you can find pumpkins easily in the market and supermarkets these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting babe.. :) i'll give your recipe to my MIL .. maybe she will make them for me.. muahahahha!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012