Friday 6 August 2010

Merdeka Open House 2010: Announcing The Theme

After a week of voting, we finally have our theme for this year's Merdeka Open House!!! I'm pleased to announce the theme for this year's virtual open house is Food From Our Hearts!

Merdeka Open House 2010 Poll Result

All Malaysians are welcome to participate no matter where you’re located in the world. Malaysian spouses are encouraged to participate as well.

On what you'll need to do:
  1. For this theme, you will need to cook a local dish that you love and that is lovingly prepared by your loved ones say your mother, ayah, mother-in-law, grandmother, grandfather, yee ma, koo cheh, thamby, tangechi yada yada. Not only you need to cook the dish out, you are required to tell us your story about this dish and your loved one. There will be no restrictions as to whether it has to be halal or not.

  2. Take a picture of your dish, type in your write-up and the recipe (if you have one, otherwise your ingredients and method would suffice if you're the guesstimate/agak-agak type). Do stick to traditional recipe without any shortcuts or replacement of ingredients to make it modern or fusion but it is all right for overseas participants due to limited ingredients. This open house is something for us to cherish our wonderful roots and we hope we could preserve the recipes that our ancestors have hand down.

  3. Post it up in your blog by 29th August 2010 but of course if you can do it earlier, it’s all the better to ease me in rounding up on 31st August.

  4. All entries must reach me by 29th August 2010, midnight Malaysian time at babe_kl(@)yahoo(dot)com. Our virtual party will be on 31st August 2010. In your email, attach a picture of your dish (minimum 500x375 pixels) and please state the following details:

    Name or nick
    Location
    Permalink/URL of your post
    Name of the dish

If you do not own a blog but wish to participate, kindly do your write up and send it together with the picture to me. I’ll post it up for you.

I've mentioned that there's a giveaway of 2 years subscription of Flavours magazine to the person whose suggestion got picked. The theme Food From Our Hearts was suggested by ROKH of Tham Jiak!!! Congratulations ROKH ;-)

Well I'm looking forward to your participation and happy cooking!

17 comments:

  1. Congrats to Tham Jiak!
    I vote for this theme too, and I'm scratching my head to think of one now, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! thanks babe for organizing and the prize and thanks to all who voted for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Little Inbox. Yikes I forgot to thank all who voted so I would like to do it here. Thank you so much to the 80 people whom have casted their votes.

    You're most welcome Rokh! You gave us a few good suggestions but you'll now have to promise us to cook something up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats ROKH!! Agreed with Little Inbox, head scratching time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Food From Our Hearts" is a lovely theme... I'm guessing though I aim for Food Straight To My Tummy first though... :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wish i could cook.. but but.. can i come and eat??! the roll out sounds awesome!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Babe for organizing this! Already scheming of what to cook. Bur bur cha cha perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  8. LCOM, I'm having a tough time scratching my head too!

    Kenny, LOL!

    C&C, you guys can come and lick the screen on 31 Aug!

    YAY Annie!!! I can't wait for your mom's recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats ROKH!! Agreed with Little Inbox, head scratching time!
    kamagra

    ReplyDelete
  10. My tangechi doesn't cook local dishes wor....mat salleh dishes can ar? :-P Oh wait...it's food from the heart, hor? Guess tangechi's excluded then!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thamby, why arh cos Tangechi dun have a heart? :p

    ReplyDelete
  12. Busy busy lazy me am hoping can find time to participate. Your merdeka open house is always sooo deliciously happening!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL Tummythoz, time to move the busy lazy bones for this once a year affair

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmmmm... sounds like an awesome project. Let me think of something :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, can kaya be considered a dish!? I know it sounds kinda lame for that to stand as a dish on its own. LOL! Possible? Otherwise, I'll need to scratch my head longer ... Hahaha!

    Thank you for continuing the Merdeka Open House tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes Pei-Lin, can but make sure you have a story to tell. Perhaps let us know and show us how you use your kaya :D

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012