Saturday 28 August 2010

Food From Our Hearts: Ang Koo Kueh

I'm glad that Reese Darragh who is now residing in Boston, USA, is participating again this year. Last year, she submitted Kek Pisang for My Sweet Malaysia and this year I'm posting on her behalf on Ang Koo Kueh. Thank you Reese for taking part in this year's Merdeka Open House.

Here's her entry:

Reese Ang Koo

I remember how my grandma used to make Ang Koo Kueh for the special occasion in the family. Chinese New Year, Full Moon, Weddings and family gatherings. She made one of the best ang koo kueh in the world. When I was young, she used to have an extra special mold which she used to make a special print ang koo for me everytime she made a batch to celebrate an occassion. Sad to say, I have never thought of obtaining the special recipe from her before she passed away over 5 years ago.


On a faithful day, I chanced upon Aunt Lily's food blog. She is a Malaysian, currently living in Denver, Colorado. The first time I tried her Ang Koo Kueh recipe, I was pleasantly surprised at the ang koo I made following her recipe. It is the exact taste and texture to my grandma's. I have been making her ang koo kueh ever since. My ang koo is always pink, just like how my grandma always made mine pink instead of red or orange.

Recipe (courtesy and with the permission of Aunt Lily from her famed blog http://lilyng2000.blogspot.com/2005/09/ang-koo-ah-mah-chew.html)

Ingredients:
(A):
200g glutinous rice flour - sifted
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp oil
4 tbsp water

(B):
150g boiling water
1/8 tsp orange-red colouring
Banana leaves - cut into small circles and greased

Oil for glazing

Filling:

200g split and skinned green peas - washed and soaked overnight; drain well
150g sugar
1-2 tbsp oil
2 pandan leaves

Method:

Mix (A) in a large bowl

Add coloring to hot water from (B). Add to (A) and mix well. Knead to form a smooth but not sticky dough.

Divide dough into equal portions and roll into balls.

Flatten each portion slightly, add a small ball of filling.

Pinch and seal the edges.

Lightly dust ang koo mould with glutinous rice flour.

Press each ball of dough into the mould.

Knock mould lightly against table and the ang koo will slide out.

Place each ang koo on greased, cut-out banana leaves.

Steam ang koo over boiling water for four minutes, then open the lid and continue steaming for six more minutes or till cooked. This will ensure that the pattern comes out sharp and clear after cooking.

Remove ang koo from steamer and brush lightly with oil to prevent them from sticking to one anotherand also to get the sheen.

To make the filling:

Steam green peas in a steamer for 20-30 minutes or till soft.

Pulse the steamed green peas in the food processor.

Pour into a big microwable glass bowl, add in all filling ingredients and cook in the microwave on high till mixture is almost dry.

Remove the pandan leaves and leave aside to cool.

Roll green pea paste into small balls and set aside to be used as filling.

Serves 18 to 20 small ang koo

6 comments:

  1. They're so pwetty in pink! Lovely of Reese to share them with us. Happy Merdeka!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a deliciously timed post! Devil and I just got us some home-made angkoo kueh tonight... Can't wait to taste them tomorrow for brekkie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agreed with you Boo that it's really a lovely shade of pink

    Kenny, you two really lucky to have some homemade angkoo kueh to chomp on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just glad that Aunt Lily is so generous in sharing her recipe to everyone. This ang koo kueh recipe is so easy that you can definitely emulate the recipe at home. Pink ang koo has always been my fav, probably cos my grandma had always made it in my fav color.

    Selamat Hari Kebangsaan!

    Cheers,

    Reese Darragh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Reese for participating again this year and yes the recipe does look simple!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Babe, the pleasure is all mine. Looking forward to another theme next year.

    Cheers,

    Reese

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012