Friday 25 November 2005

IMBB#21/SHF#14: Cookie Swap

crunchy jumbo snickers cookies stack

I'm so glad that this month's Is My Blog Burning and Sugar High Friday are having a joint event - a virtual cookie swap! A brilliant idea by Alberto (originator of IMBB) and Jennifer (originator of SHF) . My schedule is pretty packed but luckily I managed to chance upon a very easy to bake cookie recipe on an old copy of Home Cooking magazine which I'm gonna share here. It took me about an hour to get everything done, including the washing up.

The recipe called for 4 bars of Snickers where I've used 2 bars each of peanut and almond. I've also cut down on the sugar. I've about 100g of plain flour left, so I substituted the rest with self raising flour and cut the baking powder to 1 tsp instead. The following is the original recipe...

Crunchy Jumbo Snickers Cookies

Ingredients:
4 Snickers chocolate
bars
125g caster sugar
140g butter
185 plain flour
2 tsp baking
powder
100g quick cooking oats

Method:
Preheat oven to 170C and grease a large cookie tray.

Sift flour together with baking powder and add in oats into mixing bowl.

Combine butter, sugar and Snickers bar in a pan and stir over medium fire until melted. Add to flour mixture and stir to combine. Divide mixture to 12 portions and arrange on prepared tray.

Bake for 15-18 minutes. Cool on tray before removing.

crunchy jumbo snickers cookies


Notes: Have to work fast to assemble the dough onto the cookie tray else they all crumbled up and difficult to be shaped into a solid chunk. I suspect it's due to the high sugar and caramel content of the Snickers and also maybe because of this, the cookies turned rock hard the next day but it was so crunchy on the same day they were baked. They're still edible though and my mom enjoyed the bite. Even my boiboi likes it a lot. I've no idea why everyday on the dot at 7.00pm he would go near where my mom kept her cookie jars and request for some of those cookies. This happened everyday for the past 3 days!!!! Strange eh??? Okie, maybe reheating them in the oven before eating might be able to crunch it up a little. The texture is like the Chinese biscuit - Hup Tou Sou (walnut biscuit).

Even though I've cut down the sugar content, they're still pretty sweet, so I'll need to cut down further which I forgot how much, oh dear hehehe. Do adhere to the "Cool on tray before removing" bit as the cookies were kinda soft when they were out of the oven but turned solid after cooling down. Ohhh... they smelt so nice... so hard to resist a bite during cooling. Tasted fantabulous... like Snickers hehehe minus the sticky caramel. The next round, I'm gonna cut down the oats and add in some chopped nuts for more bites. The nuts from the bars are simply not enough.

I was supposed to bake another type of cookies I sampled at Kakak's open house recently, Arab Biscuits. I've all the ingredients but I have finished up the flour baking this batch of cookies plus I'm a little busy now. Will bake them later. It's something like ghee/sugee biscuits. My boiboi popped one whole biscuits into his mouth!!!

Thank you Alberto and Jennifer for the joint effort in holding this cookie swap. Oh yeah thanks to Jennifer too, she have 12 copies of Cookies Sutra to be given away. Apparently there is a contest for the most number of votes received. All you (participants and non-participants) have to do is read through the round-ups which I'll link up later, then choose your top three favorites and email Alberto/Jennifer before 8th December quoting the recipe and which blog it appeared on. The top twelve most selected entrants will get a copy of the book each. So hurry and submit your fave cookies recipe!!!

10 comments:

  1. aaah, they look great, such a smart boi boi. I just noticed that I also have that issue of Home Cooking. You must have all the issues since you seem to be cooking quite a bit from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice... is it the in thing now to recook ready made candies?

    you can try out the deep fried mars bars by chippy's also.

    very fulfilling... but very high in calorie...
    hehehee
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. rokh, taste yummy!

    boo, well almost all issues cos I like to read and collect them kekeke nice pics they got there.

    nkw, nice ka deep fried candies? saw anthony bourdain ate them in his show. i dun like deep fried stuff one leh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Piled sky high, these cookies look very appealing. The more the merrier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha yes indeed sarah lou. thanks for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I didn't know that Snickers can be a baking ingredient ;-)
    Your cookies look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great! I love cookies made with candy bars!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snickers IN a cookie? Oh yes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks claudia, now you know eh? try it one day.

    really somer? what other candy bars can be turned into cookies?

    lisasd, nice huh? thanks for coming by

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012