Tuesday 29 July 2008

Tropical Durian Cake

My colleague gave me a huge tub of Thai durian last week. Since the durian flesh is of the hard type, it's not really great to eat them straight. Even though they're fragrant but tasted kinda bland. She told me to make something with them instead. I had to blend the flesh with my hand held blender to turn them into pulp like texture.

I did a trial run last week using Agnes Chang's recipe and the cake turned out to be perfect!!! The texture of the cake is fine and moist. No doubt the durian was tasteless but somehow the cake turned out rather fragrant. This durian cake recipe is really a winner!

All test bunnies loved the cake, well perhaps they are all durian lovers heh.

Tropical Durian Cake

Tropical Durian Cake

(A)
250g butter
200g caster sugar

4 eggs

(B)
180g durian flesh, added (I've used 250g)
4 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp durian essence, optional (omitted)

(C)
240g self-raising flour, sifted
1 tbsp custard powder, sifted (omitted)
1/4 tsp salt

1. Cream (A) till light. Add eggs one at a time, creaming well after each addition.

2. Fold in half of (B) and half of (C) mixture till well combined. Fold in remaining (B) and (C) mixture till well mixed.

3. Pour cake mixture into a lined and greased 20cm (8") round baking tin. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180C for about 45-50 mins until golden brown and cooked (I've used 2 loaf tins and only needed 40 mins to cook).

4. Remove cake, leave to cool, cut into pieces and serve as snack.

Ref: Agnes Chang, I Can Bake, pg 18


Technorati Tags: +

7 comments:

  1. Durians are in season now, maybe I will give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you babe for the durian cakes, puffs & esply the beef stew. They were all delicious. the durian taste stayed with me until my very last burp..which was more than 5 hrs after consuming the puff :p. and the stew was beyond words yummy... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...even though I don't quite fancy durians, but from the pic, your cake sure looks very good, babe! Haha. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck pea

    yozora, members have their privileges :D

    thanks superheroes

    here here mamabok, have some. can smell or not the durian?? hehehe

    *pass one slice to daphne*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cake looks great, despite being flavoured with durian ;P

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012