Thursday 10 July 2008

Review: Fong Lye Restaurant @ The Gardens

Taking a break from all the cookings, let's venture to Fong Lye Restaurant. This Taiwanese restaurant have 3 outlets in Kuala Lumpur - Jalan Imbi, Desa Sri Hartamas and The Gardens. The first two are more formal, serving ala carte dishes where else The Gardens' outlet have mostly set options.

Since I was sharing with my boiboi, I opted for the Fresh Tomato Fried Egg with Fish Fillet set where else hubby ordered 3 Variety Supreme Diced Chicken set. Our sets came with the standard rice topped with some minced meat sauce which was good on its own; 3 side dishes which were braised peanuts and tofu, french beans and a deep fried fish paste; and a soup.

mosaic fong lye

Hubby took a sip of the soup and asked me how come the soup is bitter. I lifted my spoon and dug into the soup and ladle out pieces of bittergourd. I look at them then I stared at him "Of course it's bitter lorrr... need more explanation?" LOL

When my set arrives, me and boiboi were excited cos the dish was bubbling away in the little wok and stove. Smelt so good, even my hubby was enticed. My boiboi enjoyed this a lot since it's his favourite tomato sauce base. It's basically like any sweet and sour fish dish but I personally liked it a lot with the addition of the egg which jazzes up the dish. Gave me a great idea on what to cook the next time.

FL - fresh tomato fried egg with fish fillet

Hubby's chicken pieces came in a very dark dry and sticky gravy. It has a fragrant cooking wine taste and the additional local basil leaves perked up the dish. Wished there were more gravy though.

FL - 3 variety supreme diced chicken

The total bill of that two sets plus a glass of papaya milk came to about RM52.00 after 10% service charge and 5% Government tax.


Fong Lye Restaurant
Lot T208 3rd Floor The Gardens
Mid Valley City
Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 603- 2282 8699


Technorati Tags: +

6 comments:

  1. not bad .. value for money huh? were the portions big? the presentation with the thick sauces look gooooooood :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love frsh tomato fried egg . . .delish and very appetizing . . .good choice boiboi

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i must have passed this shop a few times but don't know why i didn't make any attempt to give it a try. maybe i would now coz i love the sticky chicky dish your hubby order lah..yummmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. The supreme chicken looks good. How big are the portions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. cumi&ciki, portions are quite big for me but should be average for normal eaters

    mike, he loves everything tomato in it!

    good choice yozora

    bangsar babe, the portion is slightly bigger than average but considered big for small eaters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chicken looks yummy..! wonder how they make their gravy sticky like that eh..?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012