Monday 11 February 2008

Vegetarian Dishes for First Day of Lunar New Year

As I've mentioned earlier in my blog (wow 4 years ago haha...), we will usually have vegetarian meal for the day, so this year, it's no different except that instead of making the usual tzai choy (vegetarian) dish, I've made additional dishes.

So I have Tzai Choy (Vegetarian Dish) Version 4.0. Version 3.0 post have more details about this dish.

Tzai Choy (Vegetarian Dish) Version 4.0b

I have some celery stir fried with capsicums in traffic light colours and carrots. Just fried them all in some oil then sprinkle on some water before adding a wee bit of vegetarian oyster sauce. Sighhhh it's so different from stir frying them in some chopped garlic... this is sooooo plain, soooooo NOT tasty at all!!!

Stir-fried Celery Vegetarian Style

Next, I have my boiboi's favourite sweet and sour veaty bites of the "chicken" pieces cooked in tomato puree with some carrots and capsicums. He loves this so much that he asked for this dish 3 days in a row!!!! It's very abnormal of him to ask for repeats cos he has inherited the mummy's "memory problem" of not able to eat the same stuff for 2 days in a row, well except for bread in my case. More on Veaty Bites here and here.

Sweet and Sour Veaty Bites

So that was my plain first day of lunar new year. How was yours? I'm sure more exciting than mine haha... anyway wishing you guys more merry feasting till Chap Goh Mei.

Our First Day of New Year Dish
Tzai Choy Version 2.0
Tzai Choy (Vegetarian Dish) Version 3.0


Technorati Tags: +

11 comments:

  1. Happy Chinese New Year.
    You have a great series of vegetarian dishes...
    my mum only cook vegetarian breakfast for us. we only vegetarian for morning section! ^o^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gong Xi Fa Chai, wan shi ru yi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am cooking the same veaty bites today. I have been on 'cheat' vegetarian since CNY day one. 40 days in all until Good Friday. I call it cheat cos I only avoid eating meats and seafoods but if my soup or dishes has them, I just picked them out.

    In case you want to make the stir fry less bland, you can fry with some ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this kinda vegetarian food.. ;) not so deprived.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. not too bad huh if just for breakie, chenboon?

    thanks sc, wish you the same too

    lilian, i ran out of ginger! bah... i stocked up on shallots and garlic but forgot about ginger :(

    hehehe mamabok

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grandma cooks lo han chai on the first day! hai, all these dishes remind me of home =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gong Hei Fatt Choi!! nice sour veaty bites ~ look real great! slurp!

    ReplyDelete
  8. always on the lookout for a better version eh? looking forward to version 5!

    ReplyDelete
  9. aww sorry daphne, am sure you can cook some to soothe that :p

    thanks yammylicious, wish you the same too

    haha joe, actually all versions taste the same, only the ingredient varies

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chai choy is my favourite! There are many different styles...but I love them all! :o) Gong Xi Fa Chai to you and family!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012