Tuesday 29 January 2008

Review: Nasi Ayam Goreng Berempah

Last Friday, I was checking out the stalls that mushroomed along Jalan Tengah (the road in between Jalan Sultan Ismail and Jalan Raja Chulan (behind MAS Building/Aetna/Weld). It's very carnival like... errr not sure what they call these since they are opened only during lunch hour. It's something like pasar malam with stalls selling clothes, cloth, toys, plants, fruits, and of course food.

I walked up and down the road looking for the chee cheung fun man but alas he wasn't there, but smelt something terrible nice... my colleague pointed me to the direction of a tent in front of Aetna, it gotta be Aetna since I only saw the bright orange wall behind this stall hahahaha... She told me another colleague bought that before and commented it was nice. I took a look at the banner... it says "Nasi Ayam Goreng Berempah" and they were frying the chicken on the spot!!! No wonder it smelt sooo nice...

I asked for a packet of half rice and topped up with cucumber slices, some chilli sauce and a pack of curry but I need to wait for the chicken!!!! All the chicken were snapped up earlier and they just started a new batch. I stood under the hot sun for 20 minutes before I snagged a piece of chicken off the wok!!! So it better be good, hrrrmmmmppphhh...

ayam goreng berempah

Oppsie excuse me for pointing the bishop nose at your face kekeke, not my choice since I just grabbed whatever they put in the basket quickly. This fried chicken is basically deep fried chicken marinaded in spices. The chicken is very fragrant but the skin is not as crispy. Most prolly they were rushing to dish them out as the queue had gotten pretty long. It's pretty good with the tangy chilli sauce. Luckily it is worth my 20 minutes wait under the hot sun and it costed RM4.00.

Next time, I'm gonna go there extra early to beat the crowd or maybe I should call ahead hehe! Darn, I need to stop eating all these heaty stuff with the current hot weather but they're soooo tempting, sighhhhh...

Whilst I was there waiting for my colleague to buy kuih, I saw many people crowding around the cendol and rojak truck. Since it was so hot, I got tempted into asking for a cup of cendol (RM2.00)... business was very brisk until we have to place the cendol into the plastic bag ourselves. Bad move as the plastic cup is very soft, the coconut milk flowed outta cover and it's very messy. Luckily my colleague came in time to help me out.

By the time I have a sip, the shaved ice had already melted and its no longer cold, checked the fridge in the pantry... no ice either *sobs* have to drink warm cendol. It's quite nice actually and the coconut milk is pretty thick, in fact a little too thick. Very jelak especially when it's not cold. I can't finish it since it's so rich. Could have been better if more shaved ice is added to it. No pic cos it's extremely messy.

If you are going to check out this place, remember to watch out for on coming traffic as the road is not closed whilst trading is going on. I'm not even sure if the hawkers are trading there legally in the first place. So just be careful yah.


Nasi Ayam Goreng Berempah
Every Friday lunch hour at Jalan Tengah
Call 012-699 5747 for orders


Technorati Tags:

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic looking meal! Would look and probably taste better if they had wrapped it in banana leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so much rempah on the chicken... i tot it was burnt earlier :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. there used to be a couple selling briyani and nasi tomato just outside mas punya parking lot.. the chicken was either the rempah type or masak merah.. quite nice also.. but now no idea where they went..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still Aetna? I thought it's ING a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drooling..!! what a meal.. :) one can only get from back home.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hazza, oh yeah definitely

    ling, those were the best hehehe but unhealthy

    ya ka des :( how sad

    haha my bad. thanks simon for reminding

    yeah mama bok. come back for a holiday soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhh i have to go to that place! Kusahi Keat told me about this place before.. tons of food ...but a little far from my office =(

    ReplyDelete
  8. wahhh teckiee, quite far lehhhh!!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012