Monday 27 June 2005

Meme: The Cook Next Door

UPDATED on 29 June 2005:

Arrghhh, my post half disappeared. Thanks to my itchy fingers for updating this. Sighhh I gotta recall what I wrote. Darn I shouldn't have hit the Recover Post... super duper cheesed off now!

This was what left after I hit Recover Post:

I’ve got my first meme tagged by Lilian.
So what I should do now??? Answer them kar??? Ok lah… here we go…

What is your first memory of baking/cooking
on your own?

I have very vague
memory of this. Must have been during my teens and since I was in commerce
stream, I do not get to attend home science. My cooking interest was sparked by
those early days cooking shows on TV2 or TV3 (local stations and we do not have
cable TV back then). I’ve made
Coconut Candy a few times on my own and did not do much cooking as I find it a
trouble to use my mother’s kitchen with the constant “supervision and
nagging”.


Who had the
most influence on your cooking?


It gotta be my mother and also those cooking shows. Well, not that
she really started cooking until she was way beyond her mid-30s. No choice I
supposed as my grandmother who cooks for us had passed away. She had to take
over else the whole household will starve to death. Luckily she’s those type who
can experiment her way around. I’m proud to say she’s a good cook now.

Do you have an old photo as
“evidence” of an early exposure to the culinary world and would you like to
share it?


Sorry don’t have any,
in fact I’ve only started most of my cooking after I’ve shifted into my own home
with hubby.

Mageiricophobia - do
you suffer from any cooking phobia, a dish that makes your palms sweat?

Making pastry dough from
scratch. I always find it a great challenge but maybe someday I'll tackle it.

What would be your most valued
or used kitchen gadgets and/or what was t

So here I go again to continue what I could recall. Sigh it might be slighty different ok. Damn it!

I’ve got my first meme tagged by Lilian. So what I should do now??? Answer them kar??? Ok lah… here we go… might be slightly different from my earlier post.

What is your first memory of baking/cooking on your own?

I have very vague memory of this. Must have been during my teens and since I was in commerce stream, I do not get to attend home science. My cooking interest was sparked by those early days cooking shows on TV2 or TV3 (local stations and we do not have cable TV back then). I’ve made Coconut Candy a few times on my own and did not do much cooking as I find it a trouble to use my mother’s kitchen with the constant “supervision and nagging”.

Who had the most influence on your cooking?

It gotta be my mother and also those cooking shows. Well, not that she really started cooking until she was way beyond her mid-30s. No choice I supposed as my grandmother who cooks for us had passed away. She had to take over else the whole household will starve to death. Luckily she’s those type who can experiment her way around. I’m proud to say she’s a good cook now.

Do you have an old photo as “evidence” of an early exposure to the culinary world and would you like to share it?

Sorry don’t have any, in fact I’ve only started most of my cooking after I’ve shifted into my own home with hubby.

Mageiricophobia - do you suffer from any cooking phobia, a dish that makes your palms sweat?

Making pastry dough from scratch. I always find it a great challenge but maybe someday I'll tackle it.

What would be your most valued or used kitchen gadgets and/or what was the biggest let down?

I used to use a Japanese brand cleaver/chopper. It's very heavy and I got tired easily after using it for a while. One day whilst we were shopping, we dropped by the Zwilling JA Henckels boutique. Whoa, hubby were amazed with all the sharp stuff or shall I say "gadgets" (men just love gadgets! sighhh...) in the shop. They even have some fruits and vegetable to help you test out their wares. I tell you, once we started chopping and slicing there's no stopping! Best test was the carrot slicing, whoa the knives slide thru the hard carrots without much effort. We were converted! So far the Zwilling JA Henckels Chefs Knife has been a great help in the kitchen. We've added a few more items from the same family - a couple of sharpeners and paring knife. Would love to buy the whole range but that's greedy hehehe cos I doubt we'll get to use every darn knives in the whole knife block. Did I mention how expensive they are in Malaysia??

Name some funny or weird food combinations/dishes you really like - and probably no one else!

I love to mixed smashed up hard boiled egg in a cup of local sweetened black coffee. My paternal grandma taught me how to eat hard boiled egg this way. The yolk creamed up like thick creamer. It's utterly delicious.

Hehe I also like to have my durians with hot white plain rice. My paternal grandma taught me this too. Whooo, hot fluffy rice with creamy durian... it's divine!

What are the three eatables or dishes you simply don’t want to live without?ONLY 3!!??!!

1) Bread - I can have bread every meal which hubby would detest! I love them plain; sweet; with jam, peanut butter, kaya, cheese, ham, tuna etc; dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

2) Curry Laksa with loads of kerang... drooling.

3) Eggs in all sorts of way as they're so versatile.

Any question you missed in this meme, that you would have loved to answer? Well then, feel free to add one!

Three quickies:

Your favorite ice-cream… : Sherbets from NZ Ice-cream

You will probably never eat… : Dog

Your own signature dish… : Can't single out one.

Who do you want most to cook you dinner? (added in by Oslo Foodie)

Renee of Shiokadelicious.

And my own question that I would loved to answer:

OK I've forgotten what I've asked myself.

I've tagged the following people:

Cyrene of My Monologues. She have posted up here and you must read Shook Me All Night Long reply after he got tagged by her hahahaha... it was so hilarious.

Dr Chen of Ramblings... Woohoo, she qualified for the Malaysian chapter of Fear Factor!!!

Elise of Simply Recipes Nothing from Elise, I guess she dislike meme. Sorry Elise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012