Thursday 19 March 2009

Stir-Fried Asparagus, Celery and Fresh Button Mushroom

Stir-fried Asparagus, Celery and Fresh Button Mushrooms

This was an easy peasy stir-fry with whatever I need to clear from my fridge last weekend. I had bought the fresh button mushroom for a Western dish in mind but since I was pressed for time, I didn't get to use them. So I put on my thinking cap after rummaging the fridge and came out with this dish inspired by this Mushroom and Garlic tapas that I've made before.

Prepare the bunch of asparagus by cutting of the bottom woody part and use a peeler to shred away the hard skin before cutting into1.5" in length.

For the celery, remove the stringy strands either using a knife or peeler. Cut them into sticks similar to the size of asparagus.

Clean the mushrooms with paper towel before slicing them. Chop up 2 cloves of garlic.

Heat up some extra virgin olive oil in a hot wok and add in chopped garlic. Fry till fragrant but not brown. Add in asparagus first and stir. Next add in celery and mushroom. Keep stirring and sprinkle a bit of water inside. Add sea salt to taste and a generous pinch of black pepper. Keep stirring and drizzle in some Chinese cooking wine (in replace of white wine). Since I've over "sprinkled" more water than needed, I added a bit of cornstarch solution to thicken up the sauce. Serve immediately with rice.

Surprising this stir-fry came out tasting good. I loved how the olive oil and black pepper have given the stir-fry a new lease of life, completely different from the usual Chinese stir-fries. Give it a try ;-)


Technorati Tags:

4 comments:

  1. eh why ur dishes almost always easy peasy stir fry clear fridge ones? what happened to those groceries that are freshly put in??????

    ReplyDelete
  2. luvv asparagus! I think the chinese cooking wine also chgs the taste a bit no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chinese stir-fired is stuck mostly with oyster sauce. This is a good variation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lanatir hahaha... those fresh ones usually very predictable and borings one like yau choy and stir fry greens

    yes nomad gourmand

    ;-) world window

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012