Monday 25 October 2010

Steamed Chicken and Black Fungus in Brandy

This is the simplest steamed chicken recipe ever and my mother has been cooking this for us for ages. Just need to marinade 2 chopped up skinless chicken thigh (preferably free range/kampung) with a big dash of oyster sauce, a little sugar, white pepper, about 1 tsp of cornflour and a large dash of brandy :p

Usually Tsao Tsing Chinese Cooking Wine is used but I've ran out. I have lots of brandy sitting at home so why not? My mother had used DOM too! I've even did it with Sake, nice I tell you.

To assemble, soak and clean up a small handful of black fungus. Remove the woody bits and cut into strips. Cut a small knob of old ginger into strips. Mix the black fungus and ginger strips into the chicken and place them on a heat proof container. Steam for 20 - 25 minutes depending on the heat of your steamer. My timing is based on my electric steamer.

Once you have removed the dish from the steamer, you can pour in another shot of brandy for extra flavouring. Serve with rice. Yums yums.

Steamed Chicken and Black Fungus in Brandy


Try my other steamed chicken recipes:
Steamed Chicken with Pickled Mustard Cabbage and Mushroom

muhibbahbadge

I'm submitting this for Muhibbah Malaysian Monday blog event. This event is the brainchild of  Shaz (Test With A Skewer) and Suresh (3 Hungry Tummies). Read more here.

11 comments:

  1. Apa ni? Muhibbah but got brandy wan....? :P

    (MMmmm. Sounds super yummy though)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proof that alcohol is essential for a good meal, one way or another! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. J, that is why it is Muhibbah! :p

    Sean :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is good. I should take out my electric steamer to make this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mum's version has sliced presoaked dried chinese mushrooms, dry lily bulbs (soaked, remove hard end and tied with knot) and black fungus (cloud ear not wood ear). The alcohol could be like your choices, usually rice wine and even Stone's ginger wine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sometimes add a few sliced 'cekur' (a kind of rhizome, similar to ginger. In Chinese, it is called "sa keong", literal translation 'hill ginger' ~ get from Chinese Medicine Hall the dried cekur or fresh ones from the Malay aunty that sells herbs in the wet market). It tastes very good with cekur added. Try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds and looks really good! when can i taste some? :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!! I have sooo much DOM sitting in my cupboard. Another chance to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fancier version of Devil's fave Yellow Wine Chicken, no? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks LCOM

    Yes, Sh I've made that version too :D

    JC, yes I know what is cekur which is ohhh so fragrant! OK I will try adding that one day.

    Click2 Culinary, you can when you make some your self :p

    ;-) Daphne, adding DOM to steam chicken is one of the best way.

    Not fancier Kenny cos this is much much much simpler to make. Taste slightly different due to the different type of alcohol used.

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha of course i wanna taste the sifu wan ma :D then only i can tell whether mine is good hehe!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012