Sunday 19 September 2010

Moon Festival Cutey Biscuits aka Gung Tzai Pheng

Moon Festival Cutey Biscuits - Red Bean Paste Fishy
I've made a batch of Gung Tzai Pheng (Moon Festival Cutey Biscuits) this year and they all turned out quite good. I experimented with various molds and found those like peach or even angkoo are the easiest to mold the biscuits as I do not have to spend time ensuring the nooks and corners of complicated shapes like goldfish or khei loon (a type of Chinese lion) are properly filled with dough. So the moral of the story is - don't buy molds that looked super cute with lots of designs on them :p

Moon Festival Cutey Biscuits - Red Bean Paste Peaches

I did the angkoo one just for fun cause GFAD made some angkoo kuih using square mooncake molds :p

Moon Festival Cutey Biscuits - Lotus Paste in AngKoo Shape

This biscuit is quite easy peasy but just tedious in terms of having to weigh the dough and fillings before assembling them. Recipe can be found here and here.

This year, Mid-Autumn Festival is celebrated on 22 September. You'll still have some time left to make these cutie biscuits!


Note: There is no need to refrigerate the dough! It'll make your dough "melt".

12 comments:

  1. Happy Mid-Autumn Festival! I was too lazy to learn how to bake gung zai peng or mooncake. So, I just make jelly mooncake, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babe ah, I think you and Chris can be our local's version of Domestic Goddesses lah. Happy Mid Autumn Festival!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cutie biscuits reminds me of my childhood days. Every moon cake festival my Mum's friend will make me a huge piece of Lion biscuits. Thanks for the post:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little Inbox, I personally feel this is easier compared with Jelly ones. Try this next time.

    Kekeke thanks Jason

    Thanks Jess

    Hi Veronica, thanks for coming by, with the recipe, I think you can make some your own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehe hopefully i get to make enough time for myself to make mooncakes this few days! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your angkoo mooncake is too cutey cutey :-)

    Hopefully can find time these next few days to make some baked ones ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LCOM, yeah but the previous piggy was better :p

    Good luck then Click2 Culinary & Nate&Annie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tmr is mooncake festival le, i haven't even eaten 1 piece of mooncake yet....too bz with personal matters....haih

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I saw these, I would have bought the wooden moulds and made them, instead of making snowskin mooncakes!l!! I always loved having this when I was a kid and have missed them dearly ever since....

    ReplyDelete
  10. DC, you'll have your chance one

    Pleasure Monger, perhaps you can try this next year then

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012