Tuesday 26 February 2008

Egg-Free Chocolate Cupcakes

Remember my hot date with Paprika? The one I received a hot-off the oven, yummilicious chocolate cupcake from her??? Anyway, I did get the 500 Cupcakes & Muffins not long after and yes I've tried that recipe earlier but failed tremendously. I followed the recipe and my cupcakes came out tasting like cocoa powder instead of fudgey and goey. I've over baked them as I followed the recipe to the T!

I got round to make them again and this time I only baked them for about 12 mins. They came out perfectly chocolatey, fudgey and moist! No doubt they don't contain eggs or sugar but don't think of them as healthy alternative as the amount of butter and condensed milk used are very high. The usage of cola is of no help either hehehe. This time, I've used vanilla coke so I omitted vanilla essence. Strangely I did not taste the coke this time as compared to the last one when I made with the usual flavour. Other than cola, you can practically uses anything sparkling like water or apple juice. Just experiment there a bit. Also, remember to leave them to cool in the muffin tray for 5 mins before removing else the cake will leave the casing.

All my taste bunnies gave thumbs up except for one who is not a chocolate lover. My boiboi had a whale of time licking the batter off the beater, the only time I allowed him to since this doesn't contain eggs. He always ask to lick the batter which I won't let him as most cake batters contains raw eggs. I think he watched too much telly!

Egg-Free Chocolate Cupcakes


Egg-Free Chocolate Cupcakes

225g unsalted butter, softened
400g tin condensed milk
225g self raising flour
115g Dutch-process cocoa powder (I've used the normal ones)
2 tsp baking powder
100 g plain chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla essence
340ml cherry cola

Preheat oven to 175C. Place 12 baking cases into muffin tin.

In a medium bowl, cream butter with electric whisk until light and fluffy about 2-3 mins. Add condensed milk and beat until combined. Sieve flour, cocoa and baking powder into wet mixture. Stir in chocolate chips, vanilla and cola.

Spoon batter into cases. Bake for 20 mins. Remove tin from oven and cool for 5 mins. Then remove cupcakes and cook on rack.

Store in airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.

Ref: 500 Cupcakes & Muffins, By Fergal Connolly book (published by PageOne Publishing)


Technorati Tags: +

12 comments:

  1. Wah, I wish I was in the place of ur boi-boi licking all that batter leh. You can NEVER go wrong with CHOCOLATE! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. this test bunny is now in chocolate heaven...thanks so much for the totally yummilicious cupcakes ...:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to be your test bunny too! Wish I could bring myself to do some baking now...sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm... looks good... and interesting, you used a lot of ingredients you don't normally find in cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yummy! hehee.. that looks soo fudge like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eggless or flourless but definitely full of yummy goodness! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wahhh sinfull but im a sinner ;p i'll test for u too hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. i dun have to guess hor kenny, u r a big fan of chocs :D

    yozora, next time u try and bake for yr nieces and nephews, sure they'll love their koomah more :D

    lemongrass, hahaha sure you wanna bake arh?

    beenee, yeah. you shld try this one day, very nice and fudgey

    daphne, it is!!!

    ;) wmw

    yammilicious, its really yummy

    mamabok, are you gonna pass the recipe to granma bok?

    teckiee, this is nothing compared to your exciting concoctions :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a unique cupcake recipe! I want to try these out!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012