Tuesday 13 November 2007

Review: Butter Pastry Egg Tart from Tong Kee Brothers Confectionery

Most of us, KLites, are familiar with Tong Kee's mouth watering egg tart of flaky pastry and eggy custard. Tong Kee's egg tart is by far the best in Klang Valley in my book lah, well excluding those I've eaten in Hong Kong. However, I discovered recently that they have another version where the pastry is made with butter! I bought 2 last week just to test out.

The butter version is RM1.30 in yellow paper casing wherelse the normal version is priced at RM1.20. As you can see below, the butter pastry looked less flaky.

CIMG1935

The first bite, it was crispy!!! The crispyness is different from the normal pastry one, kinda crunchy to the bite. So I took out my camera and quickly snap a pic before its all gone. The subsequent bites were just absolutely Heavenly... crisp buttery pastries coupled with soft and silky custard. Totally different in texture, all I can say it was very very flavoursome indeed.

CIMG1932

Other than egg tarts, I also liked the chicken pie which I've woofed down without taking any pic of it, sorry haha. I've also threw away the box that stated down their current brances :p Another must buy is the sponge cake in paper casing. Oh dear, I really feel like having all of these now for tea!

Tong Kee Brothers Confectionery
Main Branch
16, Jalan Brunai Utara, Pudu,
55100 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel: (603) 242 9958
Operation Hours:6.00am - 6.00pm

Branch No. 1
8, Lorong Brunai 3, Pudu,
55100 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel: (603) 242 9923
Operation Hours:6.00am - 3.00pm

Branch No. 2 (known as TK at the signboard)
Jalan Cerdas, Taman Connaught
(same row as Gafan Restaurant, or Sedaya College side)

Branch No. 3
Persiaran Mergastua, Kepong Baru

Counters:
Lai Fong Restaurant
138 Jalan Bandar, Kuala Lumpur

Wah Cheong Coffee Shop
17/29, Petaling Jaya

Technorati Tags: +

21 comments:

  1. The butter version sounds delicious! I wish I could have one now. H-u-n-g-r-y lar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some puff pastry sitting in my freezer. You have any recipe for a good egg custard to make tarn tart-ah?

    ReplyDelete
  3. my boss was just saying that it's time for a dose of tong kee today and haha..u wrote about it. yeah, we usually buy the butter version for our muslim frens..they love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi babes,

    You are right about their egg tarts. Delicious! Just as you described.

    Another worthy try is their baked pork bun, round and brownish, with char siew bits inside. The bun pastry is really soft, especially its inside where the char siew sauce has seeped in.

    I can easily down 2 buns. Alright, alright. Down on a hungry day. :)

    Cheers,
    Wei Wan

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love almost everything there, especially their bun... when i working nearby, i can spend about RM10 everyday, just to get buns, tart, cake, swiss roll for my family.


    try their 5-gains healthy bread on Friday (need to reserve!) and their kaya swiss roll, both very very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this place sounds like a gem! looking at the other comments... i wish i can sink my teeth in the flaky buttery egg tart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I swear i never liked egg tarts before.. but now that i cant' get them.. i crave so hard for them.. ironic eh..??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ei...didn't know there are 2 different versions. But i just love their piping hot egg tarts....yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lemongrass, it is indeed very delish one, a must try

    kat, i never made any b4 but lemme look for you ok

    sc, ya ya

    thank ah wan for the tip, will try it next

    chenboon, thank goodness i dun lived near one else i can imagine where my extra pounds come from haha

    daphne, mark this in yr list if u come to KL for a trip

    hey mamabok, dats always the case isnt it??

    xlb ;-) u must try this version!!!

    bbo yumyum

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like it when you put a link in your flickr site so i can visit the entry easily. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yah, there used to be a branch in Jusco MidValley but now dunno where already.

    ReplyDelete
  12. really the best egg tarts I have had in Malaysia also. REcently tried to compare them with some egg tarts we had in Sydney and still prefer TK's Egg Tarts ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. babe jie, i'm No1 fan of tong kee egg tarts, kakakakaka, and also their fluffy pancakes with peanut/chocolate/orange marmalade/strawberry fills/chicken floss, those pancakes are TO DIE FOR!!!! eat them once and you will always want to bite into their fluffiness again. Peanut butter is my fav.

    The cupcakes in paper also very nice, but still i prefer the pancakes n the egg tarts

    ReplyDelete
  14. just tried da normal ones not long ago... looks like i must go to da nearest branch to get da butter version, sounds so yummy!!!! must try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. john, thanks cos i reckon dat's easy for myself to refer. yeah they closed after Jusco renovated their supermart

    ;-) bernsy

    dcky, i'm going to buy tmrw!!!! @#$@ you made me craved for one since this morning

    meiyen, you must!!! faster!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooh I just lum TK eggtarts.

    Gota try the butter version next time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. butter pastry! yum! i personally think the tong kee egg tart is the best, even better than the HK ones IMHO. now even better with butter - definitely must try...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you don't mind I borrowed your list of addresses ... it is certainly yummy!

    http://juliansi.blogspot.com/2008/02/tong-kee-superb-egg-tarts-and-sponge.html

    Cheers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. coffeedude & tracy, you shld

    slea, I don't think it's halal

    no prob julian

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012