Tuesday 7 August 2012

Announcing 7th Merdeka Open House 2012 Theme

Sorry guys, I know a little late... in conjunction with 55th Independence in Malaysia, yes, we shall honour it with true Malaysian style... open house... albeit a virtual one :p

I've gone through my previous posts on Merdeka Open House and there was one suggestion in a poll that caught my eyes. I gave it some thought and well why not??? Since there's always "fights" with our neighbouring countries about the origin of the food... so let's get on with it and lay claims to those food that we know where it originated. Well we can't claim it to be Malaysian 100% as ingredients used are very similar, not helping when we have migrants all over Asia centuries ago either but at least shall we identify that they're uniquely Malaysian? Yes that's it.... the theme is Uniquely Malaysia!!!

Do give the theme a thought of something that is very unique in Malaysia that you know that is only available in our country. Off hands I could think of a few items already such as Char Koay Teow, Hokkien Mee (both Penang and blackened fried ones), Gerang Asam, all the delish laksas from various states (omgs yummy), kek lapis Sarawak, Teluk Intan chee cheung fun, akok, satar, cendol??? Initially I did have my doubts but as I typed in the examples... they just came rolling!

We would love to have the dish introduced and why is it so uniquely Malaysian. You will have to post up the recipe to share with the rest of the world and of course photo is a must. So remember, it's not just recipes and photo but also some words about the dish and how it relates to you.

All Malaysians, local and abroad, are eligible to participate. Spouses married to Malaysians are encouraged too submit their entries too ;-)

What you need to do:
  1. For this theme, you will need to cook a local dish uniquely found in Malaysia. We would love you to introduce the unique dish to the world by telling us about the dish, and how the dish relates to you. We do not just want recipes and photos BUT would love to hear a beautiful story.
  2. Take a picture of your dish, type in your write-up and the recipe (if you have one, otherwise your ingredients and method would suffice if you're the guesstimate/agak-agak type). Do stick to traditional recipe without any shortcuts or replacement of ingredients to make it modern or fusion but it is all right for overseas participants due to limited ingredients. This open house is something for us to cherish our wonderful roots and we hope we could preserve the recipes that our ancestors have hand down.
  3. Post it up in your blog between 20th - 28th August 2012 to ease me in rounding up by 31st August.
  4. All entries must reach me by 28th August 2012, midnight Malaysian time at babe_kl(@)yahoo(dot)com. Our virtual party will be on 31st August 2012. In your email, attach a picture of your dish (minimum 500x375 pixels) and please state the following details:

    Name or nick
    Location
    Permalink/URL of your post
    Name of the dish

If you do not own a blog but wish to participate, kindly do your write up and send it together with the picture to me. I’ll post it up for you.

I can't wait for your submissions and participation. Anyway, please help to spread the word around so that we have more Malaysians taking part in this event. Thank you :D

A recap of our previous years' themes:
2007 - Muhibbah

3 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, my brain has to be recalibrated to "totally traditional" ... that's hard, for me. Also I think every dish most probably has some influence from our ex-settlers. Does that count? But I will get those gears in the head going for something. Hopefully I can come up with something. Thanks for the invite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see if I can come up with something uniquely Sarawakian. Sounds like a fun and delicious challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012