Monday 3 May 2010

Fried Bee Hoon With Dried Shrimps and Chives

When I was young, I remember tasting a very simple stir-fry bee hoon (rice vermicelli) that contained just bee hoon and dried shrimps. My mom just fried the bee hoon till they're dry and almost crispy, quite a feat I would say during pre-nonstick pan days.

I was helping my aunty to fry bee hoon few months back but she didn't have enough ingredients so to make the bee hoon "presentable", I rummaged my fridge and I managed to find a handful of dried shrimps in my fridge. I added pounded dried shrimps to the bee hoon and thank goodness it was a hit.

So I decided to use up half a packet of bee hoon by frying it with very simple ingredients like carrot strips (just for colour), taugeh (beansprouts, tailed, such a hard job removing the ends!), chives cut into 1.5" in length (kow choy), egg and of course dried shrimps. Clean and soak the dried shrimps for a while. Drain and pound it up or just use a electric chopper like I did :p

Start off by scrambling beaten eggs in hot oil, dish up and set aside. In hot oil, add in dried shrimps. Be careful here as the dried shrimps can go popping out from the wok. Once they're fragrant and crispy, add in chopped garlic. Fry till garlic is fragrant before adding carrot strips, beansprouts and chives. Pour in some water and put in seasoning like oyster sauce, salt and pepper, plus a wee bit of sugar to taste. Add in soaked bee hoon and mix well. The water level should cover about 3/4 of the bee hoon. Cover the wok with a lid and let it simmer under low heat.

Once the water is drying up, keep stirring to prevent bee hoon from sticking on the wok. Add in egg. Cook till bee hoon is dry. Serve hot.

Loved how the chives and dried shrimps compliments each other just like Chinese Chive Pancake. The beansprouts lent a crunchy bite to the bee hoon.

Fried Bee Hoon With Dried Shrimps and Chives

Other styles of bee hoon that I''ve made:
Fried Sambal BeeHoon
Stir-Fried Bee Hoon (Zhau Mai Fun)
Vegetarian Fried Bee Hoon

5 comments:

  1. I love fried beehoon - in any style! And it's the main dish I encounter at every state that's more dependable than even economy rice or nasi lemak... A quiet winner, this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so that is Chinese Chive pancake, got to try that, I remember my mom had eggs in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ;-) Kenny and the best part, if you go to usual Msian parties there will always be a fried bee hoon and curry chicken hahaha

    LCOM, yeah better put eggs in there else turn out hard :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chives panckes I have had before usually have jiucai, egg, dried shrimps and glass noodles. Your bee hoon with the dried shrimps and jiucai must be robustly tasty :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. tigerfish, yes it is well if you like these 2 ingredients

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012