Tuesday 10 October 2006

Fried Sambal BeeHoon

fried sambal beehoon02

I was on leave sometime back and all alone at home. Got hungry late afternoon but was too lazy to go out to grab a bite. Rummaged thru my fridge and larder, looked like I could cook something for myself after all.

From my fridge I took out a bottle of sambal that my mom gave me. I'm not sure what's inside but I deducted that dried shrimps, dried chillies and belacan must be the main ingredients. Soaked some beehoon (rice vermicelli). Sliced some shallots and julienne a bit of carrot and cucumber each.

Out came the wok and heated some oil in it. Chucked in the shallots and fried till translucent. Scooped in some sambal and fried till fragrant. Stirred in the carrots and cucumber. Seasoned with salt (taste first as sometimes the sambal could be salty enough). The soaked beehoon went in next and gave them a good stir before pouring some water inside. I let them simmer till fairly dry before giving the beehoon some good stirring and dish up when completely dry.

Served with some shredded omelette. Yummy!!!

fried sambal beehoon01

Technorati Tags: + +

15 comments:

  1. Yum....the idea of sambal with beehon is tempting enuff and your pics make the drool dam broke! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh, my tummy was rumbling when I saw that last night. I've gone vegetarian today, the assam fish is so yummy at Yue Yee Chai.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a bottle of sambal in my fridge, so I might make some beehoon for my buka puasa. Thanx babe for the idea...

    ReplyDelete
  4. poor lilian, you better dun eat any spicy stuff now till you're fully recovered from your cough.

    boo_licious, i absolutely agree with you that yue yee chai's assam fish is indeed super yummy. now hankering for some but today i have lunch date already else where :(

    i'm glad i'm as of help to you flower. selamat berpuasa ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wooo.... i like beehoon with shredded omelette!! Yum yum...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like sambal meehoon too..haha...of coz not many ingredients like urs lah..coz I have no stock in freezer wan..normally just meehoon kosong with few choy sam lor...:p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks very yummylicious. Yep, Fried Beehoon is a classic and it tastes the best with sambal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. tummythoz, you can make your own now :p

    jackson, i supposed beehoon is not coated with oil to prevent the strands from sticking like yellow noodles, kuey teow or loh shue fun

    nice huh, meiyen?

    msau, usually my fridge also kosong one hahaha but so happened got left over carrots and cucumber.

    bee yinn, i still remember your yummy beehoon wid loads of prawns!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm..my kind of beehoon. Not too much 'liew' but chockful of flavour!
    Sometimes, when I cook plain beehoon, in addition to shredded omelette, I also add some fried strips of luncheon meat (I learnt this from my sis' maid!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Babe -

    LOL! Good memory! I can't help it but growing up in Penang means that I am a seafood predator... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. kat, luncheon meat... hmmm funny i never stock up my larder with these, i know can use in fried rice but beehoon??? ok will try that next time

    haha beeyinn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Throw in some dried prawns and chopped onions before adding the sambal (if sambal takdak dried prawns).

    You know what goes well with this? Assam jawa sauce. Syiokalingam!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tks, looks delicious 1

    Am learning from you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. PabloPabla, this was supposed to be my quick fix for my hunger hahaha

    thanks tonixe, hope you'll like it

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012