Tuesday 2 June 2009

Review: Restoran Sang Kee

**Non-Halal**


Back in April (oops sorry I've loads of back logs), I've gotten tired of the eateries around Chinatown but got pressured by Capt'n Hook to think of a place to eat nearby as we were stupendous hungry, otherwise we'll end up at Seng Kee again!!! Being the kind of person who usually will get extra creative under extreme pressure, I think I did it again heh :p

I suddenly recalled there is this place which my parents used to bring me as a child... hidden in between Traditional Chinese Medical Institute Malaysia and BP House along Jalan Hang Jebat is Restoran Sang Kee. There is limited parking space inside the Traditional Chinese Medical Institute Malaysia for a nominal fee.

Restoran Sang Kee

Stepping into the restaurant really brought back loads of memory. Nothing much has changed. Everything is still pretty old school and we loved the fans cos Capt'n Hook was wondering what brand they were as the wind generated was so strong hehe.

SK - tea

Capt'n Hook ordered their fresh water prawns noodles (sang har yee meen RM40 for 2 huggeee prawns). Have you guys been noticing that we have been ordering this a lot?? It's his fave! Funny the crispy noodles used here is not the thick yee meen. To me it looked and tasted like deep fried mee sua (vermicelli) instead. The prawns were extremely fresh whilst the gravy was nice, just not eggy enough for me.

SK - sang har meen

Can't resist to order Goe Low Yuk (Sweet and Sour Pork RM13). In the days of the yore, Goe Low Yuk is a standard fare especially when you have children around, well I was one of the children hehe benefited from the yummy gravy and pork bits. This is a must have ok!!! If you happen to come here, take a look at the tables around, sure have this dish on them. This I tell ya, is how an original Goe Low Yuk should taste like!!!

Sang Kee's version still retained the old school taste. The pork pieces are tender without much fatty bits, coated with seasoning and flour before being deep fried to a crisp. They are then cooked quickly in tomato gravy with pineapple, cucumber and capsicum pieces. The pork retained its crispiness till the last bite and the tomato gravy tasted just right, not too sweet or sour.

SK - goe low yuk

When I was there, I saw the notice pasted up which said Ho Chak!Ah Xian (sorry cos it was like 2 months back :p thanks to Mimi for refreshing my memory) featured them over that weekend... which explained why there were quite a number of young generation dining there that night. Dear Restoran Sang Kee, we'll be back!!!


Restoran Sang Kee
Off Jalan Hang Jebat
Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 603 20785092
Opening hours: 11:00am-3:00pm; 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Coordinates: 3°8'36"N 101°41'57"E

16 comments:

  1. yummy .. reminds me of sang har meen at this place near a behind a lorong off lebuh pudu (near mydin) ..

    salivating now :D~

    ReplyDelete
  2. sang kee used to my hubby's regular sunday family hangout when he was young as well. he brought us there last year, and was so disappointed that our girls just couldn't understand his excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. last time Ah Xian (Astro), now Ho Chiak (8TV) =.='' Must be very hard to get a table later...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohh..memories ;p
    we didnt order the Goe Low Yuk the last time, no thks to someone.ahemm...
    a re-visit is in the works...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Goe Low Yuk sure looks good! And the prawns are huge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to know if you would be open to selling advertising on your blog to related food stores. If yes, please get in touch with me as I would be interested in buying an ad. I could not find an email address on your blog which is why I am commenting here. Please feel free to delete this comment. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. weng :D

    skinnymum, i totally understand cos sometimes my boiboi is like that

    opps mimi, thanks for that cos i thot it was ho chak but its actually ah xian *chuckle* sighhhh signs of getting really old

    *cough cough* nomad gourmand, go and order goe low yuk!!!

    bangsar babe, when are you going??

    hi stan, my email is there in my profile

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah, agreed that the sang har yee meen's PRAWNS must ve very fresh. i've tasted mushy, stale ones, with creamy (the bad kind) roes. yucky stuff.

    sweet and sour pork's my FAV dish when i was small as well! and it still is, though the emergence of other interesting ways to cook pork andribs somehow stole the thunder away ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. the prawns really are huge... the pork looks yummy too... i wish i were back in malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Halar Halar...will order the pork the next time we are there ;) Can't really remember what else they do well there. Babes, apart from Goe Low Yuk..any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goe low yoke, my very favourite as a child!! Obviously living away from home means I have to hunt down versions comparable to my mom's!! I am so there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. nearly forgotten about this place, reckon should visit it again to savour the hoh fun.... thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perhaps you can try their version of wat tan hor with beef.. While it's not as flavorful(less MSG as the one in Soo Kee(Imbi) but their eggie sauce is js at a balance to the concoction - not too starchy or watery.

    And their hor fun is the closest I can find to the ones in Ipoh..

    Good and cheap cantonese food.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crap place and rude staff, was there today at 11am and was told by the staff to go elsewhere for a walk and come back later because they haven’t had their lunch and not ready. They don’t even have the courtesy to let me have a seat.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012