Monday 12 February 2007

Waxed Meat Glutinous Rice

**Non-Halal Post**

lapmeifarn01

Chinese New Year is approaching and one can see all sorts of waxed meats (lap mei in Cantonese) available in the market. For detailed explaination, check out boo_licious latest post on waxed meats. I've tasted a fabulous version of lap mei farn (waxed meat rice) using glutinous rice at Hakka Restaurant along Jalan Kia Peng. I have been hankering for it as this dish is usually available during Chinese New Year. Since we're not going to the restaurant anytime soon, I decided to cook some just to try out. I've never cooked this dish before and was too lazy to dig out any book or search in the net for the recipe. Simply hentam (work) my way thru.

I soaked some glutinous rice in some water for a few hours. Sliced a few types of waxed meat - duck thigh, yoon cheung (Chinese liver sausage), lap cheung (Chinese sausage) and err Kwai Fa yuk (I think... which is a thick slice of meat reddish in colour). Steamed them and scooped away the oil.

Mixed in some oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, salt and pepper into the drained glutinous rice. Steamed till cooked.

To assemble, placed the waxed meat, soaked Chinese mushroom and dried shrimps at the bottom of a lightly oiled heat proof bowl. I've also experimented by lining the bowl with aluminium foil before oiling just to test if the rice would stick to the bowl or not. Actually both ways also worked - no rice got stuck on the bowl nor the foil. Would be great if I can find some lotus leaves. I wonder if banana leaves would work as well?? Hahaha... since this was just an experiment, I did this using rice bowl as individual portion.

Scooped in the steamed rice onto the meat. Covered the top of the bowl with more foil. Steamed for another 20 - 30 minutes.

The verdict - not good at all since this was my lazy way haha. Lack of oommph!!!!

I will try the not so lazy method soon. Most likely, I'll fry some chopped shallots with the dried shrimps in some oil. Fry till the shallots turned golden brown before pouring in the soaked glutinous rice. Will add in oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, salt, a wee bit of sugar and a dash of cooking wine. Mix thoroughly. I think mixing in the juice that came out from the steamed waxed meat will give the rice the ultimate ommph but I'll remove the oil first. The rest will be more of less the same as above but I'll steam it without the aluminium covering.

So what do you think? Would this way work better or do you have any tips or suggestions?

Technorati Tags: + +

9 comments:

  1. Awww..babe,you suddenly hit the right or wrong button! I planned to totally not-CNY this year as I didn't manage to go to my fav shop for these delicacies. Me gonna spend it in KL,anti-social. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although u said it's not nice...but the picture look so so so yummy. Anymore left? I volunteer to finish it off for you..hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear, lilian but never mind you can find delicious lap mei farn at Overseas or Hakka Restaurant in KL!!! btw why KL huh? most shops will be closed but then again it's nice cos it will be traffic jam free

    haha precious pea, no more cos i made very little to try

    ReplyDelete
  4. the outcome looks delicious, too bad the taste is not as expected.
    i think perhaps you can add sesame oil?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got high taste standards is it? The pic look so yummy wor...Hee hee...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm going to make a halal version of this. Love this very much. ..... Yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. kris, it's not sesame oil, something to do with the cooking method

    wmw, not that lah ahaha looks could be deceiving

    flower, you can actually find halal waxed meat???

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, I dont think we can find halal wax meat. I will substitute it normal chicken meat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. flower, you can make it ala loh mai kai, you know those glutinous rice serves as dim sum? chicken, quarter egg, mushroom, dried shrimps... will post up one for you cos i made one the same time haha

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012