Tuesday 3 October 2006

Review: Mooncake from Lavender Cake Shop

lavender mooncake box

I have been hearing about how good the mooncakes were from this particular bakery located in Johor since a few years back. I'm sorry but I do not have much details about this bakery except for the name, Lavender Cake Shop. I always hear the Johoreans ranted about how delicious the mooncakes were from this shop and got quite frustrated when the person whom introduced to me refused to courier me a box hahaha errrmmm long story! Nevermind, I finally got to try when I saw a Lavender mooncake promo stall at Jusco, 1 Utama. Since it was near closing, I did not managed to try or get anything.

When hubby was at Jusco, Mid Valley Megamall, I got him to buy me one pure lotus seeds paste from Lavender just for the sake of trying. Well, my verdict was the mooncake was very very good indeed for a traditional mooncake. In the Cantonese terms of "phei pok harm leng" literally translated as thin pastry with delicious fillings. Check out how thin and even the pastry were wrapping the smooth and shiny lotus seeds paste. The paste is slightly on the sweet side but seriously not as sickly sweet as compared to the local traditional bakery like Yook Woo Hin or Kum Lun Tai.

lavender pure lotus seeds paste

I'm not really sure if I'm going to try out the other flavours from Lavender since it can only be obtained from Jusco stores in Taman Maluri, 1 Utama, Mid Valley Megamall and Metro Prima in Kuala Lumpur. Quite a hassle I would say if I need to go all way out for them. Not that I'm a huge fan of mooncakes and there is one box lying at home given to us as a gift at the moment. It's gonna take hubby and I quite some time to chow them all down. I remember there was one year when were newly married, we kept one box of them in our frige for one whole year before we start to eat them!!! *shudders* PLUS I just found out that one mooncake has about 1000 freaking calories!!!

I was told Lavender has yet to be certified halal, so Muslims just check the stores for confirmation. Mid-Autumn Festival falls on this Friday, so how was your preparation?

Technorati Tags: + +

14 comments:

  1. I am boycotting this year's mooncake as they are too darn expensive (not to mention unhealthy). Judging by the rate of inflation, I shall have to boycott all mooncakes in future as prices can only go up and up. If have to eat, I will eat the "cheapo" type sold in traditional confectionaries with thick skin :) Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this review! I've been shopping around for decent traditional mooncakes - so not a new-fangled mooncake fan :p Now to find red bean coz thats the only one my family eats! :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. PabloPabla, you can try making your own :D btw i loved those alcheapo mooncake, you know those 4 mooncakes wrapped in wax paper??? the tau sar ones rocks!

    tuktoyaktuk, you better hurry up cos i heard a lot of mooncakes been snapped up already, not much stock left esp those traditional bakeries! i'm surprised cos last year they still have plenty even on Mid-Autumn Fest day itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with pablopabla, the mooncakes in KL are so expensive! I'll stick to my kampung's mooncake, delicious and cheap! Have a great mooncake festival y'all :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah sc, totally agree with you too. thanks for the wishes

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Looks like we have a soft spot for the alcheapo 4-mooncakes-in-wax-paper-tube! Oh yes, give me the tau sar ones anytime :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, gua takda oven :( So, can forget about baking mooncake or other recipes which need baking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PabloPabla, one of my best childhood memory of Mid-Autumn Festival other than playing and burning lanterns teehehehe... no oven?? no problem, you can make the ping pei ones :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1000 calorie per mooncake??? and imagine those with double yolks... faint oh faint!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the skin only as I think lotus paste is too sweet hence I usually buy that part only - current favourite is the Heong Far Biscuits from Foh San which has melon seeds inside it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yeah better think twice before popping one piece in your mouth sooi2

    me too boo_licious but sweet toothed hubby finds it ok ler.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the lotus paste of lavendar mooncakes isn't too sweet and yes, we got the mooncakes from jusco too, but in JB.

    oso went to the lavendar at pelangi to use our vouchers. they gave us vouchers for buying mooncakes.

    i juz downed one of their 4 yolks red lotus paste coz mi is yolk fan...so wonderfully delicious!

    ur fotos rock

    ReplyDelete
  13. livia, i find the paste a wee bit sweet for my liking but not sickly sweet though. OMG 4 yolks!!! LOL i can't take those these days hahaha a bit too much. thanks for dropping by

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, do you know the price range for a box of mooncakes at lavender cake shop?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012