Monday 3 October 2011

Review: Betty's Midwest Kitchen

**Non-Halal**


We're not the type who would usually rush out and try a new place, not even when it's all hyped up in the blogsphere. Yeah that's us! A lot of times these places faded before we even have the chance to strike off from my "To Eat" list, sad huh but I guest only the best that with stood time that worth a visit :p I know it's bad but... well.

Betty's Midwest Kitchen is in the list but still dragging our feet until one day my friend Joy asked us out for a dinner. We gladly went and took one turn further which ended up going up against traffic *gasp* shhhhhhh... as we couldn't find the way in after a couple of turns. Ended up we're not the only one, our other friend, Casper the Ghost, did the same too kekeke!

Seems like the management does not sit you until everyone in your party has arrived and you can't make a reservation. Duh... it was totally full house even on a weekday! We waited almost 25 minutes before we got a table as we have to wait for Casper to arrive.

Once seated down, we diligently browsed through the menu, while me being the "kay poh" (busy body) one, looked around our table to check the food other patrons are eating :D Seems like almost every other table has a burger and that was what Joy ordered, Jucy Lucy (RM13.50). We didn't get a bite but from the pic, the burger does look juicy.

Jucy Lucy (RM13.50)

Capt'n Hook has Pork Chops with Country Gravy (RM23.00). The pork chop was nicely grilled topped with a delicious creamy sauce. The mash potatoes looked kinda horrible but do not let the look fool you. The taste was amazing.

Pork Chops with Country gravy (RM23.00)

Casper had Grilled Beer Braised Boston Butt (RM27.50) and we couldn't help but teased her over her butt selection hehe. When I read in the menu, it's not really the butt but actually a part from pork shoulder which is braised in beer before being sliced and grilled. I had one bite and the braising did an excellent job in making the meat tender. She concur that the mash does taste good.

Grilled Beer Braised Boston Butt (RM27.50)

I decided that I must have the Baby Back Ribs (RM32.50) despite not feeling ravenous that evening. I know the other 3 would be able to help me finish the ribs up. The back ribs were rubbed in a special rub and grilled. I have to say the rub made the ribs very tasty and loved the smokiness from the grilling. As the cut was quite thick, the meat remained succulent and fork tender. The coleslaw is forgetful but the fries are suprisingly good even though I'm not really into deep fried stuff.

Baby Back Ribs (RM32.50)

Come dessert time, there were just 3 choices of either Apple Crumble, Bread Pudding or Bud's ice creams. I decided to skip since I'm really filled to the brim but the 3 of them chose the Apple Crumble with Vanilla Ice Cream (RM8.00).

When it came, Casper and I looked at each other sending blinks signal lol. We just could not believe our eyes just how an apple crumble is served here... a mound of cooked apple is placed on a plate, topped with crumble and corn flakes apart from the vanilla ice cream. I took a couple of bites and find the apple is cooked with some liquid that turned out super starchy and gooey. It may seems creative to use corn flakes but it's kinda weird. For me I would crush the corn flakes and mix into the crumbs. No one finish their desserts that evening. 

Apple Crumble with Vanilla Ice Cream (RM8.00)

Drinks are reasonable here with apple juice going at RM3.00, ginger ale & root beer RM6.00 each and fresh lemonade at RM5.00. There is no Government tax but a 10% service charge is imposed.


Betty's Midwest Kitchen
A-G-40, Jalan PJU 1/43, 
Aman Suria Damansara, 
47301 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Tel: 03-78800196
Closed on Monday
Tuesdays - Sundays 11.30am - 3.00pm & 5.30pm - 10.00pm


9 comments:

  1. I been here once, a nice place to visit when craving for pork ribs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food look okay to me. Guess I am not too crazy about Western food. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious about the Jucy Lucy. Over here in the US (Namely, up north in Minnesota), the Jucy Lucy is a hamburger stuffed with cheese. Sort of an inside-out cheeseburger. Did this one have that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm drooling for the Boston Butt and Pork Chops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sonia , I agree too, the ribs are so tender & flavourful and it's pork! hehe

    LCOM, lol I guess I know why :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those baby back ribs looks pretty delicious and out of all of them, I think I would have gone with your choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. arghh i'm missing the ribs nowwwww

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greedy eh CMP? :p

    KY, it's neared for you to go isn't it? tunggu apa???

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmm gonna try out their place.. I've always been to Andes for the pork burger but nv tried Betty's before .. I think the gooeyness from the apple crumble was due to too much of cinnamon? as usually cinnamon will create a gooey sticky liquid if used too much..

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012