Monday 11 January 2010

Review: iSnack 2.0 is now Vegemite Cheesybite

Vegemite - it's something you either love or hate!!! It's the Australian version of Marmite. Anyway, I had the chance to picked up a small jar of iSnack 2.0 which will be renamed to Vegemite Cheesybite come mid January. The iSnack name stirred up a lot of controversial when it was first introduced. Kraft admitted the name sucks and they ran a contest to rename this product and finally Vegemite Cheesybite was chosen.

So what's the difference? Basically Vegemite or rather Marmite/Bovril which is more commonly available is just an yeast extract which in Malaysia, I know a lot of parents would add on to the rice porridge and feed it to their children. Well, I was one of them... the children part heh!

So this iSnack 2.0 is actually Vegemite with cream cheese! When I first tasted it, I did not read the label. I felt it was buttery and after looking at the label closely yesterday :p I saw the cream cheese part. No wonder the texture is so different from Vegemite. LOL so you see the pic, I actually spread butter on the bread first before the iSnack *roll eyes* lucky it's only a light butter spread.

isnack

This version is smooth and velvety. Very easy to spread on the bread and it's not as strong and salty as the original version. I loved it. Not sure if it's available in Malaysia. Will check and let you guys know. I wonder if it will taste all right if I add them to my oats :p

Btw, if you are getting one, try not to get a large bottle unless your entire family loves it. This version need to be consumed within 4 weeks of opening due to it's dairy content!


13 comments:

  1. oooh. It's definitely one of those love it or hate it sort of foods! :)
    (I never managed to acquire the taste for it, despite studying in Oz)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As tasty as iSnack is, I personally prefer the original Vegemite.

    Strange thing, when growing up all I could eat was Marmite. Now, I find it too sweet for my palate.

    I sent a small bottle back to my cousins in Penang and I think it was thrown out after their first taste. they thought it has gone bad. haha.

    Rgds
    Tim
    Mel, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it..use to eat it alot when i was a kid..even put a afew scoops into my porridge..:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. ackkkkk.....i prefer nutella heheheh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like cream cheese and marmite. Its an incredible combination. Hope it is available soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. J, i totally understood :p

    Travelling Ulcer, LOL i find vegemite a tad too salty

    taufulou, few scoops? not salty meh?

    rita, i love nutella too!!

    ww, i will check out later

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do Vegemite is Aussie. But, it's saltier than Marmite!? Hmm ..., I love Marmite & Bovril! (Think of Marmite chicken, though for the most part, it doesn't taste a bit like Marmite! LOL!)

    I should love this new flavor! Creamy ... sounds good to me!

    Pei-Lin

    ReplyDelete
  8. yarrrks! sounds damn gross.. hahaha.. i guess that makes me the 'hate it' category! LOL

    funny, coz i do like brovil!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE Vegemite! Is this in the market already? Must go hunt it down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm.. love marmite on buttery toast and grilled cheese sandwich!

    Have you tried Chicken Bovril in hot water? Like drinking chicken consomme liddat. Sometimes I use it like chicken stock to make vege soup!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dont like vegemite but my kids n hb love it very much. I always have vegemite and now cheesybite in my pantry. The only vegemite I can eat is when I buy cheesymite scroll in Baker's Delight. It look like a cinnamon bun, but instead of cinnamon frosting, its cheese n vegemite. Dan lagi satu kat Australia ni diaorg panggil cinnamon bun tu cinnamon scroll.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pei-Lin, it's good if you already like vegemite :D

    C&C, not much difference wor between Bovril and Vegemite. BTW, you dig marmite pai kuat/chicken or not??? keeke

    LL, havent got time to check Cold Storage or Village Grocer yet!

    Kat, yes yes try Bovril with hot water then add a bit of garlic oil! I also uses them to make beef stew :D

    wah flower, sounds like a great idea to finish up my cheesybite quickly!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012