Friday 21 October 2005

IMBB#20: Has my blog fallen?

I gaped when I first saw the announcement on Kitchen Chick. The theme for this round of Is My Blog Burning is soufflés!!! Arrrghhhhhhh what am I gonna do? It's such a challenging theme after hearing so much about disastrous results that I have never bothered to make any attempt in making soufflés.

I surfed around, did some research and hey presto... there were so many sites that encourages virgin soufflés baker to attempt in making one. Well, I did and I'm not looking back. Thanks to Kitchen Chick, I can now proudly proclaimed that I've successfully made soufflé! A Lemon and Orange Soufflé that is. Thank goodness I've made this before my boiboi fell sick last week, otherwise I would not have any submission for IMBB#20.

I got the recipe from BBC Food and this recipe is by Paul Rankin from Ready Steady Cook. Since there is no BBC channel in Malaysia and I've never set foot in UK, I really have no idea who is he. I picked this recipe after combing through some since I have those ingredients on hand. It seems really easy peasy. Errr YES, it is indeed very easy, I can vouch for it now.

Lemon and Orange Soufflé

Ingredients
140ml/¼ pint milk
1 tsp
vanilla essence
110g/4oz caster sugar
2 tbsp honey
pinch of orange
and lemon zest
3 eggs, separated
55g/2oz unsalted butter, softened

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
2. Bring the milk, vanilla essence, honey, citrus zests and half the sugar to a simmer in a pan. Remove from the heat.
3. Whisk the egg yolks and butter in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Whisk the mixture into the milk until combined.
4. In a separate clean bowl, whisk the egg whites and the remaining sugar until stiff
and glossy. 5. Fold into the original mixture until combined.
6. Grease two ramekins with butter and dust with sugar. Spoon the soufflé mixture into the ramekins and then bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until well risen and golden.
7. Remove from the oven and serve at once.

This was how the soufflés looked like after popping into the oven. I was waiting patiently by the oven to check if they rises or not.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wooohooo by 10 minutes, they looked like this! Yippeeeeee...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Yikes started to deflate the moment they were outta the oven. Took a quick snap and faster spoon some into my mouth right at the kitchen counter. *OUCH* I burnt my tongue hehehehe greedy me! It was yummilicious. The orange and lemon zests did wonder in making this a slight tangy, not too heavy dessert. Lovely!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I will make more next time using the same recipe but I need to cut down on the sugar cos I find it a tad too sweet. I also need to use larger ramekins as the recipe yielded 2 ramekins (I'm not sure what's the size) and another larger soufflé kinda dish. I ate most of them and I was certainly on a very sugar high evening that day!

Thank you Kitchen Chick for hosting and thinking of such a challenging theme.


Tagged with: +

9 comments:

  1. Oh, those are so nice looking! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations, your souffle looks great! p.s. we do get BBC on astro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks michelle but your souffle fluffed up so beautifully!

    thanks oreos, the bbc we got on astro is just news

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orange and Lemon! They look so good! What a wonderful dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are pretty delicious looking souffles - I have never tried baking them before but you have made it sound so easy peasy, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. eatztcath, it's my virgin souffle. i never knew they could be so easy. try this ok and let me know how you've fare.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so this is what a souffle looks like. :)

    BTW, what are "ramekins"?

    ReplyDelete
  8. fake, ramekins are those porcelain or glass container for baking stuff like custards etc

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012