Wednesday 26 October 2005

DeepaRaya Celebrations

This Babe has been bogged down with work the past few days, hence no time to update this blog. I guess updates will also be sporadic for next week since I'll be off the whole week in conjunction with the Deepavali and Hari Raya Aidil Fitri holidays. In view of that, I'll just show some pictures on what's happening around in Masjid India area which uniquely have a bazaar with the combination of both Indians of the Hindu faith and Malays of the Muslim fare.

The moment I stepped down from the bridge over Klang River at the LRT station, there were stalls lining up the road side. Many of them selling clothes, belts, wallets and etc predominantly displaying goods to usher in Hari Raya Puasa. More of them in front of Wisma Yakin and Masjid India. I was enjoying the occassional blast of Hari Raya songs but as I walk along, the scenery kinda changed. Towards the part of Wisma Hanifa and Semua House, the stalls were displaying Indians wares and I have to endure the loud Bollywood songs from nearby music shop. Heh, the best of both world? At the backlane of Globe Silk Store (is it Jalan Bonus??) more stalls lined up both sides. Since it was hours before buka puasa (breaking fast), many stalls were preparing and cooking food. So I would not have much photos on buka puasa fare. I guess those you can visit Masak-masak to feast your eyes on all the local goodies found in the various Ramadhan bazaar that boo_licious visited.

Okie, less talk... feast your eyes! Click to view a larger picture.

Prayer beads and lots of other miscellaneous items.
prayer beads

Woven mengkuang bags. So many shapes and colours, take your pick.
woven mengkuang bags

Colourful handmade bags.
handmade bags


handmade bags pink close up handmade bags colourful

Selendang (shawls) in myriad of colours.
selendang

Colourful telekungs (Muslim women's scarf/headgear). Take your pick...
hanging telekungs folded telekungs

Brooches for telekungs.
brooches

Sarong batik which I think came from Indonesia.
sarong batik

A lady checking out the baju kebaya and baju kurung (traditional Malay woman dresses).
kebayas

These baju are made from batik prints cloth made popular by our late First Lady.
baju batik

Baju kurung for little girls. Oh they're so pretty! Got sequins some more... darn wished I have a girl.
child baju kurung

Silky batik cloths waiting to be tailored into beautiful baju kebaya or baju kurung.
kain batik

Baju Melayu (traditional Malay men's clothes that is usually worn with samping as seen in the left picture. There are many types of samping and ways of wearing them).
baju melayu2 baju melayu1

Songkok (traditional Malay men's headgear). They are usually made of velvet.
songkok

Capal (traditional Malay men's leather footwear that goes with their baju Melayu). Since I'm a mommy, I tend to be fascinated with the kids version. Yes, these are child sized Capal. So cute.
children chapal

Ketupat.
ketupat daun palas

Muslim lights oil lamp around the house compound. I kinda forgot for how many days and for how long. Sorry, no time to research with my Muslim friends now.
bamboo oil lamps2 bamboo oil lamps1

Tonnes of cookies and bags of murukus and chips.
tonnes of cookies bags of murukus and chips

Indian sweetmeats. I tried some and they're lovely. Bought some from the guy in stripes. He saw me taking photos and asked whether I'm from the media kakakaka... Then the guy in white was playing with the little girl asking her to smile at the camera. So I offered to take a photo of them smiling from ear-to-ear.
indian sweetmeats indian sweetmeats stall owner

sweets1 ladu kesari gheeballs

Deck your home with some Deepavali decors.
indian decor

Busy pavement.
busy pavement

I loved the way the shops displaying their saris. Kinda like a fan and they're so beautiful shimmering under the light.
rows of saris

Children kurta (a type of traditional Indian men's clothings).
child kurtas

Gold and colourful bangles.
gold bangles colourful bangles

Fancy decorating your tables with some table runners and table cloth? Rolls of plastic table cloth waiting to be cut to size.
table cloth n runner rolls of plastic table covers

Nothing beats flowers for festivities be it real or fake.
flowers1 flowers2

Beaded screens... ohhhh soooo RETRO!
beaded screens


Wishing all my Hindu friends a very Happy Deepavali
and
to all my Muslim friends Selamat Hari Raya. Maaf Zahir Batin.

5 comments:

  1. Babe - solid photos! A real feast for my eyes and stomach. Have been going to the Pasar Ramadhan here for nasi kerabu, ayam madu & percik, ikan bakar, nasi tomato etc...Gonna grab me some laddu and keswari soon YUM, YUM!

    Isn't it great to be Malaysian???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wah! I think I'll bring Wifey there this weekend before its too late

    ReplyDelete
  3. *nod head* at kittycat

    chow, hurry up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came across your blog, great pics and variety of foodies too. I'm going to share this with my wife, as she has the same interest. Actually I was surfing the net to search for tips how to tie the kain samping ala pengantin with the bunga. Any step-by-step guide?

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks rosman for the compliments. i'm sorry i've no idea how to tie kain samping hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012