Sunday 23 January 2005

IMBB 11: Red & Kidney Beans Sweet Soup

I'm quite excited about this actually, no, I didn't mean in cooking this tong shui (Cantonese for sweet soup or sometimes it is know as sweet porridge). This is going to be my first time participating in Is My Blog Burning (IMBB). Every month there is a theme hosted by one of the food bloggers. This month's IMBB is hosted by Cathy of my little kitchen. The theme is Beans, beans, the musical fruit....

This Red & Kidney Beans Tong Shui is a sweet dessert which is very very simple to make. Usually most people will use red beans only for this dessert but some actually add in kidney beans for a slighty different texture. I've used large sago pearls this round.

In order to shorten the cooking time, I soaked the beans in hot water over night. Remember to add in a lot of water as the beans can absorb quite a bit of water. Drain off the water and add them into a pot of water of maybe 3 inches higher than the beans. Slowly simmer the beans until they're soften. This might take 1 to 2 hours. You may shorten the cooking time by using a pressure cooker. Make sure you check on the beans every now and then to avoid the water being dried up plus give it a stir too to avoid the beans stick to the bottom of the pot. I used non-stick pot to avoid this from happening hehehe... Add hot water to the pot when necessary.

Next, dump in the washed sago pearls and cook till translucent. Twist some screwpine leaves (pandan leaves) into a knot and place into the soup. Then add in more hot water once the beans are soften and the sago pearls are cooked. The amount of water depends on your liking. If you prefer a thicker soup, add lesser water. If you prefer a more watery soup, add more. I usually prefer equal portion of water and beans. I like to use rock sugar but you may just use granulated sugar. Add in according to the level of sweetness you would prefer. You may also add in steamed dried lotus seeds.

Serve it either hot or cold. This is how it looked like.



I always cook this tong shui all the time as it's my husband's fave plus it's one of the easiest to cook. You might wanna check this recipe out.

Thanks to Cathy for organising this round of IMBB. Looking forward to the next IMBB.

EDITED: Replaced the picture with a better one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012