Monday 15 November 2010

Chau Lup Lup (Stir-Fried Diced Vegetables)

**Non-Halal**


I've no idea what is the proper name for this dish that is very common in Chinese household here in Malaysia. I've known it as Chau Lup Lup (Stir-Fried Diced Vegetables?? :p). The ingredients are almost similar as Stir-Fried Preserved Radish with Tofu, just that the execution is slightly different. All ingredients are diced rather small or cut into an almost uniform size and then fried, hence chau lup lup.

Essentially, this dish consist of French beans or some uses long beans, deep fried peanuts, preserved radish and tofu. However for this time, I added some leftover diced rock hard char siu (bbq pork) that we have eaten at Good Friends Restaurant in Highland which I will reserve the review for another time.

Chau Lup Lup (Stir-fried Diced Vege)
* Apologies for the poor quality pics cos have to feed a few hungry tummies :p

This dish involved some work like chopping the ingredients to almost uniform in size. Deep fry peanuts with skin on for about 5 minutes or thereabout till golden brown, and set aside. Next, deep fry the diced dry type of tofu till golden brown, dish up and set aside.

Stir-fry some chopped garlic in oil till fragrant before chucking in the diced sweet preserved radish (wash and soak before cutting). Stir and add a little water. Simmer for a couple of minutes to soften the radish otherwise your jaw will ache from all the chewing :D

Next, stir in char siu, followed by French beans. Pour in a mixture of about 2 tbsp water + 1 tbsp oyster sauce + 1 tsp soy sauce + 1/4 tsp sugar. You can adjust the seasoning with some salt and white pepper powder. Then stir in tofu and peanuts. Keep stirring till the gravy vapourised and essentially this dish should be completely dry in nature. Once it's nice and dry, dish up and serve!

Best with plain rice or congee (rice porridge)!


muhibbahbadge

I'm submitting this for Muhibbah Malaysian Monday blog event. This event is the brainchild of  Shaz (Test With A Skewer) and Suresh (3 Hungry Tummies). Read more here.

10 comments:

  1. another "classic" childhood fav of mine. oh, babe ..... can't thank you enough for evoking my cherished memories with my "ah mah"! *big hug for that*

    running out the get the ingredients to make this tonight :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this with porridge... it just goes so well with it! (With rice, I rather have something more gravy-ish.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. C&C ;-)

    Chaokar, you know the actual name?

    *hugs* Celine. I really salute you to run out to buy the ingredients and cook this within today!

    Eeeekk Kenny, I like my rice with gravy too but usually for this dish, I will laden my bowl and mix them up with my rice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gosh, this sounds terrible, but i don't think i've ever tried this dish before (maybe it's more of a kl dish?)! i'd probably like it though, since i like savory dishes that have peanuts in them :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew what that was called!! I forgot we can add char siew in it too! I would love this with porridge for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like! It's simple yet such a tasty dish. I love it with plain porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sean, I can just feed you peanut butter sandwich like dat! :p

    Daphne, seriously I've no idea what's the actual name. Even the mixed rice stall call it that.

    ;-) Jon

    ReplyDelete
  8. In our home, since we usually use long beans (dou gok), so we call it chau dou gok lup. Other optional additions, diced prawns, diced lap cheong, and 1 not so hot red chilly.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Revamping

Hello... I'm in the midst of revamping my blog to make my life a little easier. So do not be alarmed as work is still under construction.

Cheers,
Babe_KL
16 Oct 2012